Mineral Additives Collection?

OzShrimp

I am not one that adds minerals and additives for my shrimp simply because i do not know what ones are good, what they do and how much should be added or how often. I was wondering if people would be happy to share this information so that myself and others who are not up to speed on them will be aware of the options we have to improve the overall health of our shrimp and our shrimp keeping abilities.

If we could use a format like below so its straight forward and easy to understand that way perhaps we could get it turned to a sticky when its big enough?

Mineral/additive:

Benefits:

Dosage rate:

Where to Source:

Cost:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The most critical minerals/additive is Calcium and Magnesium, which is covered in detail in the "Water Parameters" subforum stickies.

The only other additive I'd add to contribute to this thread is Fulvic and Humic Acid. Otherwise known as Blackwater extract.

Mineral/additive: Blackwater extract
Benefits: Great for plants, Fish and shrimp alike.
Organic acids like these assist in modifying the pH of a substrate/soil to change the valence state of iron, calcium, magnesium, molybdenum, copper, manganese, zinc, cobalt, and nickel in hydroponic, aka emerged culture, submerged culture and terrestrial/traditional horticulture to increase solubility of those elements. The plants can take up these minerals more readily. Not to mention that the blackwater extract in itself contains some trace minerals as natural fertiliser.
If it makes calcium more soluble for plants, I believe, it will for shrimps as well. But this is just my opinion, nothing scientific.
Note: blackwater extract doesn't provide minerals and nutrients to the shrimp directly, but is helps keep the minerals already in your tank in a soluble form that assists the shrimp in absorption of these minerals.

Fulvic acid, and Humic Acids seem to have certain antibacterial qualities as well. It can assist in preventing bacterial outbreaks. Particularly during the warmer months of Summer.
Fulvic Acid is said to absorb or neutralise harmful toxins. I can't prove it. Just listing one of the possible benefits.
But IAL (Ketapang) extract has been used to treat Hole in the head disease in discus with more instances of positive results then negative. So it must be doing something.

Helps soften Hard water (GH). Making it ideal for Amazonian fishes and Caridinia shrimp that we keep.
Helps reduce pH (Note: this assumes KH is under control, as it does not specifically reduce KH).

Blackwater extract behaves very similarly to IAL in all aspects, except in a liquid form.

Dosage rate: As per instructions on your bottle. Very low risk of overdose.

Where to Source: Most online and brick&mortar aquariums. <Now that Tech Den is a site sponsor, I can include them on the list - The Tech Den's 2L G&K Lloyd Blackwater extract is great value>. http://www.thetechden.com.au/Black_Water_Extract_Water_Conditioner_2_Litre_p/bw2l.htm

Cost: depends on brand and location of purchase. But I use 1kg G&K Lloyd Jones blackwater extract ($20). Very economically priced.
However, you could always brew your own using IAL, Peat Moss, autumn leaves like Oak, and Alder cones. It'll be much cheaper.

Edited by jayc

I use 1kg G&K Lloyd Jones blackwater extract ($20). Very economically priced.

I have been trying to find this unsuccessfully. Do you have a link to were you purchased yours?

Please remember only to post links to forum sponsors in your threads. As they are the ones supporting our fantastic forum. :)

I managed to track some down. Seems to be great stuff thanks for putting me onto it :D

• 3 months later...

Do those mineral balls have any effect on your easier to keep shrimp like cherries? I've just found a bunch and wondering if there's any benefit in chucking them into the cherry tank?

Mineral- Benibachi Mineral Powder

Benefits- Benibachi Mineral Powder id a 100% natural ancient sea mud that improves water quality, replenishes minerals & maintains health of water, plants & shrimp

Dosage rate- They recommend for a standard 45cm tank to use 2-3 spoons(supplied) every 2-3 days but I use a spoon once a week.

Where to source- www.bossaquaria.com.au

Cost- 120g pack - $24.95

50g pack - $14.95(NEW RELEASE)

@NoGi They do have an effect on all shrimp, mostly because they keep the water cleaner & release over 30 essential trace minerals. They also help keep ammonia down, stablise pH & prevent blue/green algae, the highly porous surface traps harmful substances in the water to improve general water quality. :thumbsu:

• 9 months later...

Im currently setting up more tanks for both crystals and cherries.Is it ok to put a good layer of it under my new substrate.

Same as with Bee Max, a light sprinkle to cover the bottom under the substrate is enough to start with & then a pinch per 25-50L every week or two. :thumbsu:

A much cheaper option would be to buy a small bag of montmorillonite or zeolite, dirt cheap without the added price tag of asian shrimps product manufacturer...