Sign in to follow this  
ineke

The beauty of culls

Baccus

Even though they might be considered culls. I think they are still quite pretty and striking.

ineke

Some of the colours and patterns are very nice infact I have a few shrimp That I think are quite stunning but just don't fit into any category. That's why I like my community tank where it doesn't matter who breeds with what. At the moment I'm finding some pretty little apricot shrimp somewhere between sunkist and pumkin and yet not close to either. If I find a male and female i might try them in a tank of their own and see what happens. It's a bit like your mosh pit.

OzShrimp

very nice photos ineke :)

ineke

Thanks Shaun

newbreed

Your "culls" are stunning Ineke!

ineke

Thanks Jamie I love to look at that tank and enjoy the different shrimp. The Rilis are a bit hard to see sometimes but they have good markings despite not being quite up to standard.

daz88

So do you get a lot of wild type cherry offspring? and would u ever consider pulling a cherry out of this tank n back into a breeding colony?

ineke

Dazz I do have some "wild " cherry types and they are quite nice looking -it's a shame they are not "liked" as some have lovely stripes like the Tiger variations with different body colour.

I have pulled some "culls" out mainly my chocolates as I lost my colony however I am only using the adults that I know a not a mix. My Chocolate colony was of such a high standard that my "culls" are possibly better than some Chocolates I have seen for sale. i cull heavily so only the best of the best are kept for breeding. Every month or two -as soon as the babies are big enough to gauge their quality- I cull back again adding the best to the breeding group and taking out any adults I'm not particularly happy with. Problem is it can be hard to be accurate especially with the rilis as I have some very nicely marked Rilis in the cull tank because as the babies mature they often get better so as an adult they may not actually be a cull. after each successive moult they seem to get better. I don't use anything I am unsure of the genetics so if a really nice baby turns up in the cull tank but I'm not sure if it is pure I won't use it.

Gbang

very nice ineke :)

ineke

Thanks Gbang.

I'm going to catch out some wild type cherries and take some more photos to show how nice they are. It is a shame they can't have a class of their own but a mongrel is usually a mongrel except if it is in BB's tank:rolleyes:

K9932

That Black one is gorgeous!

Also love the rillis and all of their unique patterns :D

Squiggle

Definitely some very nice shrimp there Ineke & your photo quality is getting much better too!! :encouragement:

ineke

Thanks - I'm having to zoom and crop because I still can't get really good macro pictures. Hopefully the reverse ring thingy I bought will help out until I can afford a macro lense.:beer:

ineke
That Black one is gorgeous!

Also love the rillis and all of their unique patterns :D

Not bad for a cull! The Rilis do have nice markings , some of the culls are quite stunning with swirls of red over them. I just love the variety in that tank.

daz88
Dazz I do have some "wild " cherry types and they are quite nice looking -it's a shame they are not "liked" as some have lovely stripes like the Tiger variations with different body colour.

I have pulled some "culls" out mainly my chocolates as I lost my colony however I am only using the adults that I know a not a mix. My Chocolate colony was of such a high standard that my "culls" are possibly better than some Chocolates I have seen for sale. i cull heavily so only the best of the best are kept for breeding. Every month or two -as soon as the babies are big enough to gauge their quality- I cull back again adding the best to the breeding group and taking out any adults I'm not particularly happy with. Problem is it can be hard to be accurate especially with the rilis as I have some very nicely marked Rilis in the cull tank because as the babies mature they often get better so as an adult they may not actually be a cull. after each successive moult they seem to get better. I don't use anything I am unsure of the genetics so if a really nice baby turns up in the cull tank but I'm not sure if it is pure I won't use it.

Cheers for the info, considering making one of my display tanks a cull community like this. Would be interested to see some pics of the 'wild types'.