Damselfly Nymphs?????????

keego

Just found and removed about ten of these bastards in my 3ft divided tank. Bad news is had berried snowballs all release last week. Cant see any juvries now [don't swear, stay clam]. Do these things kill full, grow shrimp, as I've loosed 3 pair of dark blue cherries, were there 4 days ago??[don't swear, stay clam]

So should I reset the tanks, remove all water & start again. The tanks is in a rack of 9 tanks???? how do these get into a tank, I take it they likely to spread.

Any advise

Thanks

[ATTACH]6547[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6548[/ATTACH]

post-3809-139909865518_thumb.jpg

post-3809-139909865522_thumb.jpg

wew, never seen it before so i cant give advice. thanks for sharing and see what expert says :D

Were any new plants, rocks....intriduced.....Damn, they're nasty....never had one in my tanks before (touch wood), and I'd definitely make sure they're all nuked. Lots of tank staring over the next few days.....if they're only in one tank, I'd quarantine :-)

Were any new plants' date=' rocks....intriduced.....Damn, they're nasty....never had one in my tanks before (touch wood), and I'd definitely make sure they're all nuked. Lots of tank staring over the next few days.....if they're only in one tank, I'd quarantine :-)[/quote'].

Thanks BB. New IAL, from a new supplier??? I do live near a water course (20 mtrs across the road)??? Yep, plenty of staring & netting

• HOF Member

I had a few turn up but never did find the source. I found them by noticing some folded leaves floating through the water un- naturally and had to investigate why. They were still pupae at that stage and found in mulberry leaves but not sure if that's how they were introduced.

quite often they come in on plant's as most plant w/saler's grow in outdoor pond's.

Oh no dude! That's terrible news!! I once had them in a tank & they had been laid directly into the water(but I found the damselfly in the house), there were heaps of them in the tank & they were under everything! Ended up stripping everything out of the tank back to the gravel & water & catching them myself. Definitely not something I every want to happen again. :dejection:

Thanks BB. New IAL' date=' from a new supplier??? I do live near a water course (20 mtrs across the road)??? Yep, plenty of staring & netting[/quote']

You should always boil IAL, you never know what nasty stuff they have on them

I boil mine for a few mins enough to kill anything alive on there :D

You should always boil IAL' date=' you never know what nasty stuff they have on them

I boil mine for a few mins enough to kill anything alive on there :D[/quote'].

Yep, been lax, any eatable plant will be boiled, will not be making this mistake again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit of an update, at my expense!!!!!!!!!. Check the tanks this morning & found 4 adult damselfly attached to the underside of the light. Thinking that good, only to find another 4-5 attached to the inside of the glass, just about the water line. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that hurts. So going to have to research the life cycle of this little bugger. Got a feeling Im going to be catching these for the next couple of weeks.

[ATTACH]6550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6553[/ATTACH]

post-3809-139909856049_thumb.jpg

post-3809-139909856053_thumb.jpg

post-3809-139909856058_thumb.jpg

post-3809-139909856062_thumb.jpg

They suck big time ive had them before,

There's alot of staring and catching involved

Cheers mick

Ouch!

Needless to say, you have to get rid of them asap.

In the wild these bas@#@rds feed on daphnia, mosquito larvae, and various other small aquatic organisms.

Unfortunately, in an aquarium or shrimp tank, the lack of these food sources mean that they will prey on any tank inhabitant, that strays near them.

If you can, take out all tank decorations and plants and inspect for these buggers.

A cleared tank will help you find them easier too.

See the prongs at the end of the tail? That's their breathing apparatus. A bit like a snorkel. They sometimes hang upside down at the water surface to breath when there is a lack of oxygen in the water. That's when you catch them.

However, in a tank with shrimp, oxygen in the water column might not be lacking. So they stay submerged longer.

If they are not on the water surface, they are hiding under leaves.

Often they bury themselves in the gravel too.

A light gravel vac might suck some of them out too, if they are hiding in the gravel.

At least you get a water change chore out of the way at the same time.

Good luck. Use a bright torch to try spotting them in a bare tank.