What has happened????

wayne6442

Hi Guys, What do you think, have these cherries reverted back to their natural colour???Has anyone seen pics of Neocardinina Heteropodapost-24-139909857572_thumb.jpgpost-24-139909857576_thumb.jpg in their naturl colours?

woah! unusual. i have found that sometimes if you cross breed cherry colours you can get the wild type colours back. has that happenned? do you mind me asking who were the parents?

Hi Guys' date=' What do you think, have these cherries reverted back to their natural colour???Has anyone seen pics of Neocardinina Heteropoda in their naturl colours?[/quote']

Yes, this is the wild form - successfully back bred by you :)

Well there you go! backwards and forever onwards, trust me to reverse everyones hard work. "goodonyamate":stupid: Now back to the drawing board with the 9 I have and see what other damage I can do! Have to come up with a sexy name for these, can't just call them" wild types", now can I? any ideas anyone HaHa.:sorrow:

Ps Dean, no they did not come from a cross with the chocolates,(still growing) but I have just put them in the tank with them. be interesting what comes out if they mate.

gbag, they have come from a tank that holds my cherry culls, various faint base colour types are represented including orangs blue etc.

wayne nonono don't cross them with the chocolates!!! would i be wrong to assume the wild colour form would be a more dominant gene? keep the chocolates to themselves so you can have the blacks, browns blues and red! :)

any chance we can have a look at the cull tank? i appreciate all forms of shrimp. :cheerful:

thanks gbung, I will get some pics of the cull tank as soon as the weather clears up a bit, I have to take the pics late afternoon as my tanks are outside and the natural light is not very good to take tank pics in. The lights are more effective when it gets darker.

Mixing different coloured Cherries doesn't always/usually give you cool new coloured shrimps.

Coloured Cherries come from picking certain colours in the Cherries and then line bred for that trait/colour. Kinda like finding a few Red's that show a blue tinge and then breeding the ones with blue tinges and keeping the more blue offspring and culling the less blue until you start getting more and more blue Cherries.

It's not like, Mixing Red and Yellow gives you orange or anything.

The colour we see is only how we perceive the gene. It's actually the genetics itself you line breed for, If that makes any sense? Breeing something that displays a Red colour through genetics with one that displays Yellow doesn't give you an orange gene.

Mixing different coloured Cherries is actually taking the line breeding process backwards, In that it introduces different genetics into the mix which takes away from the stronger genetics the colour was initially bred for.

With that being said, You can introduce a yellow and orange and see if any weird or cool little throw off's come out of the litter. But the chances and work to make that throw off an actual 'line' would take many years, tanks and time.

A really good way to learn about genetics and breeding them is to read up and look into Guppies. Even though they're fish the genetics and breeding of is pretty much very similar.

Thanks triggs for your insight, I have been line breeding cherries for some time now, and as I said in my last post that these guys are the product of my cull tank. These shrimp have been inbreeding for about a year now with little to none new genetic introductions,it's amazing just what has come out of all this one genetic breeding. The wild types just show that if you have just one genetic pool, and don't introduce new genetics into the mix, that they will after a year or so breed their colour morphs out and revert back to their wild type origins.So the morals in this story is to keep introducing new genetics to your breeding programes,or they just might go backwards. Attached are some pics of my cull tank inhabitants.Enjoy!post-367-139909846146_thumb.jpgpost-24-139909846151_thumb.jpgpost-24-139909857591_thumb.jpgpost-24-139909857594_thumb.jpg LOTS OF COOL COLOURS SHOWING!!