guppies

HJ V6

Depends ...

They could go many months without even noticing your shrimp.

Then one day they taste a dead shrimp before you get a chance to fish out the carcass, and bam! They acquire a taste for shrimp.

I've seen cardinal tetras gang up on adult shrimp, like a pack of mini piranhas. (Have you seen the teeth on Tetras?)

Sure they can't swallow them whole.

But they don't need to. The tetras pick off the legs, and other small bits a little at a time.

If you're thinking of keeping prized shrimp with fish, don't risk it.

If you want to try your culls in a fish tank, then that's ok. But don't expect them to thrive either.

Also shrimplets are small enough to be eaten by just about any fish. Some might escape but some wont.

ok I was thinking of setting up a planted tank with fancy guppies and yellow cherrys but not sure now

They will look pretty for a while, if you have lots of hiding spots they may even breed but not thrive. I keep basic reds in with guppies and they do ok.

hahahahaha yer I really want a 4ft again but I cant cus of timber floor :/ but my little nanos will do for now

A dedicated guppy tank and a dedicated shrimp tank! Two of my favourite tank types ever! Will need to post pics once you get them going!

Squiggs, you are a legend helping others get on track, awesome work mate!!

A dedicated guppy tank and a dedicated shrimp tank! Two of my favourite tank types ever! Will need to post pics once you get them going!

Squiggs' date=' you are a legend helping others get on track, awesome work mate!![/quote']

yer guppies are one of my fav fish...

They will look pretty for a while' date=' if you have lots of hiding spots they may even breed but not thrive. I keep basic reds in with guppies and they do ok.[/quote']

I'm doing the same with endlers and red cherries. The cherries are doing ok and they are breeding but I've got heaps of moss and plants in the tank.

But as Wraithie said they are not thriving and you also don't see much of them because they are hiding most of the time.

I was going to say that neon tetras, from my experience, are very safe with shrimp. But now you've totally freaked me out Jayc. :cower:

So yeah! Two (or more) tanks is the best way :congratulatory:

• HOF Member

Two tanks is not enough -you need at least 2 tanks per fish type , 2 tanks per shrimp type or should that be three? and then there's the culltank cause ya can't feed your cull shrimp to your fish or Garney will come and get you -so how many is that -never mind you need MORE tanks:happydance:

Looks like someone had weetbix for breakfast, so much energy and enthusiasm so early in the morning Ineke! ;)

Not everyone gets mts as bad as we have. Two tanks is just the beginning!

What type of guppy fish are you thinking of keeping? Particular strain or a mixture?

Looks like someone had weetbix for breakfast' date=' so much energy and enthusiasm so early in the morning Ineke! ;)

Not everyone gets mts as bad as we have. Two tanks is just the beginning!

What type of guppy fish are you thinking of keeping? Particular strain or a mixture?[/quote']

hahahaha....well I did have mts (still do :) ) I was in a rentel and couldn't set them up had 10tanks but only had 2 set up ....now I have 5 tanks 3 nanos and 1 2x18x18 marine tank (not set up) and a 2.5ftx2x1.5

and for guppies I want fancy guppies I had them before...the ones with different colors and big tails

Two tanks is not enough -you need at least 2 tanks per fish type ' date=' 2 tanks per shrimp type or should that be three? and then there's the culltank cause ya can't feed your cull shrimp to your fish or Garney will come and get you -so how many is that -never mind you need MORE tanks:happydance:[/quote']

hahahahaha ok so 1 tank for female guppies 1 tank for male guppies 1 tank for red cherrys 1 tank for yellow cherrys 1 tank for blue cherrys and a tank for the culls hhmmm and a rack for all the other shrimp I like.....................

See more tanks are needed!

Ineke, you are a bad influence! :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

I'm only repeating the sound advice given to me by certain members of this forum :)

i only have 11 tanks in use , 1 pond for cherry culls, and 8 empty tanks waiting in the sidelines just incase :)

I have endler guppies and cherries in the same tanks, well planted. Both breed. But i did see a group of endlers picking at half a shrimp a little while back. Not sure if will turn them into rampant shrimp killers.

I have also kept red cherries with apistos in a well planted tank, the cherry colony increase (but probably not at the same that they would have in a non fish tank).