cherry shrimp parameters

smicko

Hi all, as some may have seen I am shutting down my cull tank which doubles as a display tank for my eldest daughter.

I have been experimenting with water parameters in this tank for the last 12 months and thought that I would share some info

It's a 3x18x18 tank and the water started at pH 7.2,gh5, kh2, Tds 300 and 20 shrimp.

I have had pH as low as 6.3 and as high as 8,

Kh has been between 2 and 10,

Gh between 4 and 15,

The real surprise is watched the Tds slowly climb to over 1100 and back down to 250 using water changes with no effect on breeding:Scratch-Head:.

Has anyone else played with water chemistry to this extreme? And if so did anything go wrong.

I have well over 300 hundred shrimp, I tested this morning. Ph7.5, Kh4, gh10, Tds 891 and have around 40 berried females.

I have noticed colour improvements when I move these shrimp to lower tds water, but their has been no other differences in regards to breeding and survival rates, I have never seen a dead shrimp in this tank.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers mick

Have you tested different temperatures? Since I am new to shrimp my first mistake was not monitoring the temperature and I had 2 deaths because of it.

I have a tank that gets direct sunlight and over summer it sits around 32 degrees.

I haven't had a loss in that tank but I have in others from waterchanging with different temp water.

Cheers mick

I've had cherry shrimp survive in a tank undergoing a 30c heat treatment for a fortnight to help treat some bristlenose in the same tank that had an ich outbreak, my dads rcs tank until I pointed it out was constantly at a TDS of over 1000 and they were breeding suprisingly well.

I've even found cherry shrimp in a small 50L aquaponics setup that had rosey barbs in it, they survived through perth's summer and didnt even get put in there intentionally (must have snuck across on some plants)

RCS are almost bullet proof & I've had some live & breed in water up around 1000 but I haven't been game to try it with any other cherry colours. :encouragement: