Unfiltered bacterial life expectancy

OzShrimp

Just wondering how long beneifical bacteria survives when it is unfilitered. The reason i ask is i return home tomorrow after a week away and been advised that i had security lights installed on my house by my employer and as a result i am expecting they have cut the power to install them.

Now i am shitting it that i will go home to a tank full of dead shrimp if the power was off for an excessive amount of time as i cant even guarantee my filter auto restarted without priming when power was resumed.

Anyone got experience with this as i know its recommended to put you media under an airstone powered by a battery operated pump.

Is it a canister filter? HOB filter? Sponge filter?

Did the filter dry out?

How long do you think the power has been out?

Nitrifying bacteria can survive a few hours, in a canister. I'd say up to 6 hours in a canister, as that is the longest I have experienced without adverse effects.

They will run out of oxygen far sooner than they would run out of food source.

Chilling them will give them a longer life span as well if you need to turn off the filter. As would aerating the water with an air pump.

Treat the filter as if it was new for the next few days - ie test ammonia/nitrite daily.

My canister filter starts up ok by itself after a power cut as long as the canister remained sealed and was not opened to let air in.

You should be ok if you have a canister filter.

Good news! after 8 and a bit hr stressful drive home tank was running and shrimp all still alive :D

Great news!! Such a stressful hobby at times!!

tell me about it, worst part is the reason things were all good was because they did every house except mine so they still gotta do my lights so no power for sometime one day this week. Might have to try and find my battery powered air pumps.

Definitely a good idea to have some on hand as a precaution, I've got a few but need a few more. :encouragement:

I have a bigboy b-15000 in my racks, and they have a built in backup battery for when the power goes off ....one of my insurance policies.....

e5fc90e54347c16c0dcd374ecca9842f.jpg

I have a bigboy b-15000 in my racks' date=' and they have a built in backup battery for when the power goes off ....one of my insurance policies.....

[img']http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w515/bluebolts/Other/e5fc90e54347c16c0dcd374ecca9842f.jpg

how much did that set you back and whats the specs of air output?

Not sure of the output, but purchased from Aquotix (forum sponsor), here's the link.

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/airpumps/dual-outlet-airpump-with-battery-back-up-bb-15000/

It's even on sale ATM