Sign in to follow this  
Peppy_11

API Ph+ Ph-?

Peppy_11

Hi all, just wondering if these products are safe to use to match water when doin top-ups? Cheerz

JustJamieII:-)

Hi Peppy,

I'm pretty sure most PH buffers contain phosphates in some form or another. So prolonged use will soon build up to unacceptable levels. There are a couple that don't conatin phosphates, but I can't remember which ones :-( . Maybe JBL and Sera PH-, but don't quote me. There are 'natural' ways to reduce your PH, albeit slowly and hard to gauge accurately (IAL's/Peat Moss). Or depending on your $enthusiasm$, there's the R/O option.

What shrimp are you keeping that you need to raise your PH?

What is the PH that you are working with and what is your target?

What quantity of water are you topping up with?

JJ.

Triggs

Another way to bring the pH down/Up (Depending on size of water change) is to have one of those 20L water containers you get with spring water in them from the supermarkets.

One of these kind of things.

20L_collapsible_water_cans.jpg

Then just put something like Shrimp sand or another pH adjusting substrate in it and let it sit for a few days before using for top ups. Each time you use some just replace it straight away in the container ready for next time. Letting the water sit you're using for changes for a few days is a great benefit for the shrimps also.

Peppy_11

My ph for my crs/cbs tank is about 6.4, and the ph of the water coming out of my ro unit is 6. I want to raise it a bit before i top up, or should i just put it onto a drip system and slowly top it up?

Sprae
My ph for my crs/cbs tank is about 6.4' date=' and the ph of the water coming out of my ro unit is 6. I want to raise it a bit before i top up, or should i just put it onto a drip system and slowly top it up?[/quote']

I think 6 pH is absolutely fine mate. 0.4 diff is not an issue at all, in fact I'm trying to keep below 6 at all times.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      The new tank looks great! Hope this one does better for you.
    • LCM94
      thanks! I know about CO2 rules and am used to it :) I will get the taiwan bees tomorrow morning as they were shipped this afternoon. I will post the pictures.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for updating us and I'm pleased it seems to be working better now. The tank looks fabulous as well and the shrimp will be very happy in there! Go carefully with the C02 though and I hope to see your taiwan bee shrimp soon? Simon
    • LCM94
      Hi  For those who read my last issues in this thread below, I have completely renewed the tank. Introduction of a spider wood of some sort polluted my tech soil definitely. So removed everything, changed the soil to a standard JBL Manado Dark soil, so I won't have to worry about changing it for a while. I kept the plants but threw away the soil & the woods I used to have. Plants were kept. After 6 weeks of running it empty I introduced last week CRS S to SSS type. They are doing fine. I use 100% RO water with salty shrimp for Caridinas. Parameters seem all perfect. CO2 to help plants grow. Just wanted to open a live topic to show you the evolution and breeding I will have when I will introduce this week some Taiwan Bees Pandas & Red Wines. The results should be interesting. I am not looking into breeding specific types, just want to see how thing goes with this breedings. Anyway here are a couple of pics.  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would just test the KH of the tank and make sure it is still 3 and if it is leave it alone, that's the figure you want. I use a separate KH+ (elixir) for the one tank I want to add some KH and I already have the GH+ anyway. It is a bit more complicated than buying the GH/KH combined but not that much once you get used to it. You are aiming to keep it at 3-4, so aim for 3 as it is easier to increase than decrease. I think JayC probably knows of a cheap KH alternative cooking product or ingredient (if I remember correctly, I want to say bicarbonate of soda but don't rely on that, something similar?) rather than buying a special product which is obviously more expensive so see what he has to say later! If the first drop was pale yellow then it probably is 0, the reason it went darker will be down to the adding of more tester fluid. The GH+ usually has no KH so with RO water it is usually 0 but you can't test for zero as that requires adding zero drops, and therein you are starting down the road to insanity............. If you are that bothered (and you shouldn't be really) you can increase the volume of water, ie double (10ml) each drop is .5 KH, or 4 times the water (20ml) each drop is .25 KH and so on, however it will be so diluted you probably won't be able to se any colour anyway as it is difficult enough to see the colour in 5ml? Simon