RO unit and extras

Twellsy

Hi all,

Going to go on a shopping spree tomorrow and a get an RO system , just want to check I have everything covered

3 stage RO unit ( aquarium ) from FSA

Tds pen , not sure what brand or where to get it from ? Suspect FSA will sell them

60+ litre storage drum

15 litre drum ( for mixing ) both drums food grade

salty shrimp GH+ , how long will this keep ( 1kg will do me for 3 years of water changes )

GH and KH test kits

That's all I think I need , let me know if I have missed anything

Cheers Twellsy

Sounds like an awesome shopping list dude, just make sure the RO unit has a DI(de-ionising) stage as you can get 3 stage units without it. :encouragement:

Ozshrimp I wish I could afford to be buying extras , when I win lotto there will be an RO unit on your doorstep

Squiggle I am ordering the 3 stage from FSA through eBay it's the aquarium one that ozshrimp linked me to ( $150 delivered it has the di resin cartridge ) also getting the tds pen from them

Quick question , does anyone know if the 100 litre water tank from bunnings ( made by maze , green on a little stand ) is food grade / safe for RO water storage ? Can't find any info on it , the maze wedsite doesn't tell me either

Cheers Twellsy

I have two of these tanks for my auto water change storage tanks & they are fine, I just gave them a rinse out before using them. :beer:

image_zpsc49469aa.jpg

Twellsy, I've got a kilo of SaltyShrimp's Bee shrimp mineral GH+ which I can never finish.

I can send you half a kilo for $20 along with your breeding boxes you've ordered through me.

Quick question ' date=' does anyone know if the 100 litre water tank from bunnings ( made by maze , green on a little stand ) is food grade / safe for RO water storage ? Can't find any info on it , the maze wedsite doesn't tell me either

Cheers Twellsy[/quote']

Same, I have two of these as well by Maze.

They are fine for RO water storage.

I posted a thread on 20th Jan notifying SKF that Aldi was selling them for $59 instead of $69 that Bunnings was selling it for.

Aldi version came with a stand and downpipe diverter, which is all extra $ at Bunnings.

But alas, that special item is no longer available at Aldi.

Can recommend the FSA unit. Squiggs put me onto them too and great people to deal with. Luckily for me there are only 10 mins up the road. Now my RO water is constantly sitting a 2 coming out of this unit.

Twellsy' date=' I've got a kilo of SaltyShrimp's Bee shrimp mineral GH+ which I can never finish.

I can send you half a kilo for $20 along with your breeding boxes you've ordered through me.[/quote']

Hey Emma ,

I'll take the half a kilo for $20 , I'll pick it up with breeder boxes

Cheers Twellsy

Same' date=' I have two of these as well by Maze.

They are fine for RO water storage.

I posted a thread on 20th Jan notifying SKF that Aldi was selling them for $59 instead of $69 that Bunnings was selling it for.

Aldi version came with a stand and downpipe diverter, which is all extra $ at Bunnings.

But alas, that special item is no longer available at Aldi.[/quote']

I remebered that post about Aldi last night , nothing of it on the web guess it's all over

Squiggle , thanks that's perfect just what I wanted to hear

So I have bought and ordered everything to make the switch to RO water , waiting for a RO unit to arrive ( fingers crossed tomorrow )

What is the best way to do the water change over ?

Do I remove the shrimp , empty the tank

Refill with remineralized RO water then reacclimatize the shrimp

or

Do I just do water changes with RO water

I do remember reading something a long time ago to just empty the tank , but I find it again

Cheers Twellsy

Do it the first way, remove the shrimp, replace the water & reacclimatize them, this way will have the least amount of stress on the shrimp! :encouragement:

Do it the first way' date=' remove the shrimp, replace the water & reacclimatize them, this way will have the least amount of stress on the shrimp! :encouragement:[/quote']

Awesome , thanks Squiggle

Thats what I was thinking only stress them once then it's over