Java/Peacock

forocious

interesting question! got me stumped on this one mate.

peacock is shorter and more dense and jave is more stringy and less dense

but also mosses grow very different in different conditions too.

i can say that it is absolutely great for shrimplets to hid in though :)

what did you buy it as?

was given to me as peacock.. u know what though, i thikn it grew denser when there was no co2 maybe it was peacock.. :P

just trim it back to a nice dense bush and know one will be the wiser :) all moss is good moss i think.

Size of the image is too small

can u make it any bigger?

Looks like Java to me. I've got both and peacock's has denser/tighter branching to form a triangle.

this grows in triangular pieces, but not as dense as peacock and not as loosely as java's string like pieces, it has that christmas tree shape to each frond, unlike the strands associated with java.

Guest Benny

Hi forocious

Could you take another photo or two? I think that might us identify it better. Personally I'm not sure either.

Peacock can change its growth, in my 36L my peacock moss has limited light and has started to change growth pattern to a stringier style. No co2 or ferts like in my planted tank where the same moss grows exactly like peacock should, lush and dense.

Peacock will grow in the shape of triangles and java will just stringle randomly. A few closup pics will help.

Peacock will grow in the shape of triangles and java will just stringle randomly. A few closup pics will help.

triangular like this?

post-86-139909845622_thumb.jpg

really? cause ive never seen java grow like this, ive kept java for years and its always much stringier and always linear. Also this is growing in tight formation around the wood where as i find java to be loose growing...

whatcha think banjo/dean?

Hmmm, i need a closer shot... We need to see the actuall fronds mate. Just looks so skinny like java moss. Might be a deformed peacock moss :p

When i click on these images it gives me an error saying i dont have enough permissions.

Would love to get a closer look at those thumbnails

i think only premium members can do that.............

• 4 weeks later...
i think only premium members can do that.............

I get the same message as emboli, lets hope a premium member comes along to ID it.

I get the same message as emboli' date=' lets hope a premium member comes along to ID it.[/quote']

Can you see this?

post-34-13990985724_thumb.jpg

post-34-139909845869_thumb.jpg

Can you see this?

post-34-13990985724_thumb.jpg

I can see it, but when you click to make it bigger, its say you dont have the permission to do this, so I can only see a tiny, hard to ID pic.

I don't think it's java. Java tends to grow more stringy without all the side offshoots like your moss has.

It looks more like Christmas moss to me by the shapes and growing patterns with the offshoots from each thread.

This is Christmas moss;

2.jpg

it could be spiky moss also, however spiky moss is more rare and a little less likely.