Symptoms of plant nutrient deficiency

jayc

Thanks Jayc, as this is a shrimp tank with RO and salty shrimp i have been mindful of adding extra things to the watercolumn, however i do believe that because of that, the plants miss out on essential nutrients. I started to add a small amount of Profito, though in the tank im fairly sure its still not sufficient for the plants(might be better for me to just relocate the plant). I dont think its a rhizome issue as i have other Microsorum normal and windelov attached to drift wood in another section which has been doing the same thing. This particular specimen was given to me as Microsorum sp.mini and i can vouch that it is different from both the normal java fern and the needle leaf varieties. At its max its about 15cm.

Thanks Jayc' date=' as this is a shrimp tank with RO and salty shrimp i have been mindful of adding extra things to the watercolumn, however i do believe that because of that, the plants miss out on essential nutrients. I started to add a small amount of Profito, though in the tank im fairly sure its still not sufficient for the plants(might be better for me to just relocate the plant). I dont think its a rhizome issue as i have other Microsorum normal and windelov attached to drift wood in another section which has been doing the same thing. This particular specimen was given to me as Microsorum sp.mini and i can vouch that it is different from both the normal java fern and the needle leaf varieties. At its max its about 15cm.[/quote']

Agreed, go slow with ferts in a shrimp tank. I always dose half the recommended amounts in my shrimp tanks.

All my aquatic plants are in my fish tank. My fish have all been through all sorts of ferts I've used for the plants and seem to be doing okay.

Profito is okay for a broad spectrum micro nutrient fertiliser. It's still lacking in a Macro nutrient - Potassium.

The tips of your plant is also yellow, though I'm not sure if that is lighting. But in general the whole plant looks too yellow. So you might be lacking in potassium as well.

Go to Bunnings and pick up a pack of Richgro Sulphate of Potash. 1kg is $10.40.

1kg will last you a lifetime of potassium supply. Share the purchase with Warren.

sp Mini is similar to "normal". Their rhizomes don't like to be buried.

Here is a pro tip ... when dosing liquid ferts, use a syringe and squirt the fert into the substrate at the base of the plant. Instead of directly into the water, where algae will enjoy a feed too. The rooted plants will get access to it first, and extra ferts will slowly be released into the water column for any plants like aren't rooted in the substrate. Of course algae will then get it too, but not as much as dosing straight into the water.

• Like 1

Here is a pro tip ... when dosing liquid ferts' date=' use a syringe and squirt the fert into the substrate at the base of the plant. Instead of directly into the water, where algae will enjoy a feed too. The rooted plants will get access to it first, and extra ferts will slowly be released into the water column for any plants like aren't rooted in the substrate. Of course algae will then get it too, but not as much as dosing straight into the water.[/quote']

Very cool pro-tip dude, nice idea! :encouragement:

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent pro tip. I've often wondered when adding my liquid fert is there a better method then just adding to the water. Now just need a longer dropper!

Since everyone liked that pro-tip, I should add that you want to dilute the fertiliser before squirting it in the substrate at the roots.

I've never squirted undiluted ferts, but my imagination says that it might be too concentrated for the plant.

So I always dilute it in tank water first, in a plastic cup (ex Macca sundae cup :rofl: ), syringe some up and squirt into the substrate.

• Like 1

I like profito because it has both macro and micro nutrients. Ill work on the more direct feeding method.

Cheers Dr Plant!

• Like 1

I looked up Profito by easylife, and yes, you're right it does have potassium, but the website I looked at doesn't show the amount.

You might still be lacking potassium, as it does get used up by plants fairly quickly.

Try dosing at the roots so it's not spread around.

• Like 1