Sign in to follow this  
buck

nature style scape

buck

i had this tank running as a hard scape for ages untile i got the plants i wanted and planted it out about 4 weeks ago. its only got about 2 months left to live (moving house) so hopefully it grows out more by then.

tumblr_n16atjb7Ij1qjnrnyo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n16aywrdxF1qjnrnyo2_1280.jpgtumblr_n16aywrdxF1qjnrnyo3_1280.jpg

Squiggle

Looks good dude, very cool pics. :encouragement:

Wraithie

Nice!

What are the crypts and where did you get them from?

buck

cheers guys, I got the crypts from annerley and they're wendtii variations and parva

Neo-shrimp

Very nice scaped tank buck...Well done

buck

cheers i found what i think are celestial pearl danio fri yesterday so im pretty happy with that :D

buck
tumblr_n253vfctRG1qjnrnyo1_500.jpgtumblr_n253urp9Vc1qjnrnyo1_500.jpgtumblr_n253uhqw6i1qjnrnyo1_500.jpgtumblr_n26zgpePRO1qjnrnyo1_500.jpgtumblr_n253u4eTYQ1qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

jayc

Nice!

However, you seem to have some white fungus on the drift wood.

Did you use tap water to fill that tank?

buck

yer its kind of greenish white i think its algae, ive been meaning to try and bleach it but havn't remebered to get the bleach when i've been at the shops.

yeah "dechlorinated" tap water

jayc

yeah "dechlorinated" tap water

How did I know.

Tap/town water even declor'd has a lot of lime in it, which in turn helps promote this sort of fungus seen in newly cycled/cycling tanks.

It's not algae. Algae is green due to chlorophyll. Only fungus is white, since it doesn't need light to produce food.

Keep an eye on that. Removing it manually from the wood doesn't mean it's gone. Your water still has lime in it.

If you find uneaten food growing fungus within a few days or dead shrimp covered in fungus, you'll know the cause.

Unhealthy shrimp will be more susceptible to fungal attacks as well. Only if it's immunity levels are low.

What dechlorinator do you use?

BristledOne

Lovely tank buck!

Jayc thanks for the informative post! Makes me glad I'm finally doing the move over to RO water :)

Squiggle

Looking good dude, very cool indeed! :encouragement:

buck

cheers guys, thanks jayc, i forget the name of the product im using ive had it for a while. so i guess trying to bleach it won't do anything? im intending to get an R.O D.I system when i start my rack up. so my future scapes hopefully wont have the same issue as ill be using R.O water on them too

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      As you say it may just be the light that makes them look a bit black, the ones I thought I saw were all on the sponges which are black. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I'm pretty sure all the different colours of neocaridina shrimp are easy to care for! The only problem with mixing colours is them cross breeding which will speed up the reverting to wild or brown shrimps if they do cross breed. I say speed up as in my oldest tank I got a group of red  cherries 5 years ago and never had any others and they are mainly brown (75%) now. I have a densely planted tank and have been very lazy so have not removed/culled any browns ones over the years so at this point it would be very difficult to correct this without emptying the tank and starting again!!! Best to keep on top of it as you go. I would start off with just the one colour and get some experience with those first and come back to other/mixing colours a bit further down the line? With just 5 shrimps to start with you shouldn't need any food so see how it goes with them for a while before buying any. There will be more than enough biofilm in the tank for so few shrimps. If it all takes off and goes well then the 'complete' I would think should be sufficient when you have lots of shrimps though you should feed less than they recommend always? You can also use blanched ORGANIC peas and spinach and other plants etc which you can find out about on here? If you are going to use the CO2 then you will certainly have more luck with the lesser the CO2 I'm sure! If you can leave the CO2 off for a few weeks, that is what I would do, as you will then know whether the plants even need it AND it will be one less thing to eliminate IF you do start having problems with the shrimps? Good luck with getting the shrimps this weekend, drip acclimate for a couple of hours and ending up with at least 3 times as much tank water to the quantity of water they came in when you start off (or more). Don't panic if you lose the odd one in the first few weeks either, I always expect that to happen as they have been through a lot, breeder to shop and then shop to your tank etc and are more fragile than fish. Simon
    • jayc
      Thank goodness. You don't want to mix PRL with CBS. It's so hard getting Pure Red Lines as it is.  Keep up the good work.
    • DEL 707
      Thanks again. Going to do a big water change tomorrow then see how I go. Shrimp wise, there is a maidenhead aquatics near me that sell neocardina, so I was just going to use them to get 5 or so, to quite litterally test the waters. I've ordered a drip kit to help with acclimitising, I'm also going to turn the CO2 off, then slowly turn it on after a day or 2, to see how they do. When it comes to neocardina, is their care the same across the board, or are certain "colours" harder to care for? Would love a mix or reds and blues. Also food wise, what do you recommend? I was just looking at Shrimp King Complete.  
    • DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders
      Yes, I can confirm that rock / pebble rock / gravel will cause the pH to raise over time.  My RODI water comes out as around 6.8 according to my pH meter.  And I did follow the manufacturer's suggestion to wait 5-6 minutes when measuring RODI water because of the low ion.  After adding it to the tank, the pH becomes 7.2 -> 7.4.  The highest that I've recorded in my journal is 7.6 but it never goes higher than that. Here is my shrimp's diet: On M-W-F, I feed Bacter AE + Shrimp Baby.  On T-TH-S, I feed Shrimp Dinner. And on Sunday, I feed Shrimp King Protein to increase shrimp production.  Water change is once a month because I have a ton of floating plants to keep Nitrate low. @sdlTBfanUK It's probably because of the low quality image so it makes some of the PRL babies' color turn black 😁 But there are no CBS at all in this shrimp tank