Garlic

cory1

Hello everyone and hope your having an enjoyable weekend :beer: just wondering if anyone uses garlic in their foods as a general tonic and or health promoter

Having used it for catfish I was wondering if it was used for shrimp as well

Cheers

Barry

No No and No dont use garlic for shrimps no acidic things in your water you will kill them.

almond leafs

carrots

zucchini

and many more. BUT you need to boil them for about 4 minutes and that's it boiling water takes all cain of pesticide and or microorganisms.and any bad thing in them. so when you put them in the water nothing happens but don't leave them for to long or water will actually go bad.

so we learn that acidic food dont mix with shrimps :D

and thats the first time i heard abour arlic given to catfish XD..

hope i help you :D

join my youtube channel :D

Who told you that garlic is acidic? And why would this matter for shrimp that live in neutral or acidic water?

I would be more worried about the anti-invertebrate properties of garlic.

Most commercial foods have some garlic in them. It it used to attract fish and shrimp to the food, I wouldn't worry about acidic properties as it wouldn't affect most shrimp.

I use a variety of foods including protein pellets flake food, fluval shrimp food, genchem biomax and genchem mineral food. But the shrimps favourite that also gives me larger batches of eggs and the best colours is new life spectrum thera A, which I also use for all my breeding fish. After a week of feeding nls the whole room smells of garlic so it must have abit in their. The ingredients list is

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, wheat flour, whole squid meal, algae meal, garlic, soybean isolate, beta carotene, sparkling, vegetable and fruit extract ( spinach,red and green cabbage, pea, broccoli, zucchini, tomato, red bell pepper, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya, peach), vitamin a acetate, do alphatocophero (e), d-activated animal sterile(d3), vitamin b12 supplement, niacin, folic acid, biotin thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium panthothenate, like-ascorby-2-polyphosphate ( stable c), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

I don't know what some of them ingredients aren't I know the shrimp and fish love it and show better colour and breed better when using this food.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mick

Thanks smicko for that explanation , I know when I was breeding L numbers that garlic was basically used as an appetite enhancer but also provided some health benefits as well

I wasn't sure about shrimp but you have answered my question thanks for that

Cheers

Barry

Garlic is certainly used in many fish and shrimp foods.

It has antiseptic and antiparasitic properties, as well as acting as an appetite enhancer.

Garlic is mixed in to the ingredients of these commercial foods however.

If you are planning on feeding it raw/blanched, then that's a different story. I have no experience with that.

It's probably going to be similar to other fresh food fed to shrimps, where the usual precautions apply.

Good point Jaycee. I didn't think about adding whole garlic, I would never recommend that.

I use mulberry and Indian almond leaves and some fruits/vegetables. Never leave fruit /vegetables in the tank too long as they can seriously affect water quality.

Cheers mick

I wouldn't use fresh garlic but I too use new life spectrum threra A and my shrimp jump at it faster then any other food. Been using it 2 years!

Thanks for the response guys ,mrguppy normal garlic is used in many food preparations, and I always included it in my home made foods for both discus and yes catfish

My original question which has been answered by several people is that yes commercial foods for fish containing garlic is okay ... thanks for the info everyone :clap: