the importance of a cull tank

smicko

Hi all, I recently lost a few tanks of shrimp through my own silliness and decided to check the cull tank to see what may be lurking.

My cull tank started as a red cherry tank but my daughter wanted a rainbow cherry display with as many colours as possible, so I gave away or traded all the sakura or higher grades that I could find and started throwing in culls from yellows, rilli's, chocolate/black and the royal blue I was working on.

I recently picked out a few that are keepers and took a couple of pics of some random scoops to show that what looks like a cull at a young age can mature into a nice shrimp.

Cheers mick

DSC_0036_zpsmmfe3tnw.JPG

DSC_0038_zpsd5dlavtl.JPG

DSC_0039_zpsthyyxwzt.JPG[/uR

L]DSC_0018_zpsaaoysuqf.JPGDSC_0019_zpscbx2oknz.JPG

• HOF Member

I agree 100% Mick. I have a large aqua 980 that houses my culls plus most of my Crystals and like you after losing shrimp managed to get a small breeding stock from that tank. I also find some shrimp that I have culled grow out quite nice so I occasionally raid it for extra breeding stock.

It was the best idea I've had and it came from my 14yr old daughter lol.

This last pick is frustrating, I managed a picture of the Rilli on the filter but while putting my phone down it disappeared into the crowd lol.

Cheers mickDSC_0002_zpslwflqwzw.JPG

Very cool stiff dude & it's definitely a good idea to have a cull tank in case you do something silly & end up with nothing left, great backup! :beer:

I have a similar "cull" technique that I can raid at a future date. Only my "cull" area is not a tank but my goldfish pond. Apparently cherry shrimp can survive some very hungry goldfish and swarm of endlers just fine.

And I have found that only truly mature cherry shrimp show their true colouration, which makes it really hard when trying to cull young males that in a few months time can turn into excellent breeding stock.

As I showed you yesterday mick a cull tank for breeding programs is a must don't know what they might throw to speed your direction up.Hope the shrimp settled in fine

All settled in fine. After seeing a few cull tanks I thought I must have been doing right, so sharing the pics is a way of showing new keepers what can come from culls if done properly.

I left all berried girls as I'm unsure of the father and only took the best I could find.

Cheers mick

I only got the one 4ftr cant really have a cull tank due to really high temps i cant run it with no chiller but i am contemplating using the Mk-5 internal breeder boxes to separate :)

• HOF Member

Have you seen BB's tanks with all the satellite breeding boxes attached? It works for him :) Don't know if he still uses them but it was pretty impressive

i used to run satellites in sydney on my tanks but because they hold so little water and its so hot here i dont find them viable here:(