Heat wave continues how are your shrimp doing

ineke

• HOF Member

Well it's official SA has had more days over 40 degrees than ever before recorded history. The rest of Oz is not fairing much better.

My fans continue to keep my main tank between 20 & 23 with an occasional 23+ . The shrimp room tanks sit around 23/24 but as they have only Cherry varieties at the moment I'm reasonably happy with that. I have lost 6 shrimp out of about 400 so while not definitely to do with the heat I guess if I don't lose too many more I have got out of it lightly.

how have you all been coping?

Lucky my chillers have done their job well, so far!!! Still more hot days, but thankfully no more forties this week!!

Great to hear only minimal losses for you, especially being away for a lot of the hot days!

thankfully the weather hasnt been to hot here. i took the lids off my 4 foot tank and increased airflow. and the ac gets flicked on for a little bit in the middle of the day to keep the room cool.

i really need to sort out a rack system and get a chiller before next summer though. hopefully the tax man is kind to me this year

It's good to hear everything is going well for you Ineke, it definitely goes to show that preparation is the best solution! :beer:

• HOF Member

Good to hear others are not having any problems.

Yes Squiggs I did what I could but next summer I will be better prepared with a chiller for the big tank. We have been quite disappointed with our air conditioner this year but it is getting a bit old so may need to replace the unit . Will also need to get a room air con before next summer for the cherry tanks too. I can't believe we are talking about spending all this money for shrimp! But we will.

We used to drive our 4wd around inland desert areas with no air con and no tinted windows, as soon as we got our dog Alan had the air con fixed and tinted windows done - not for us but for the dog!:)

Glad every thing is going OK for you Ineke, you sure have copped your share of hot weather so far this summer. Having lost my first lot of CRS before getting a chiller, i soon realized how important it is to have one. Hang in there and save, save, save, before next summer. Good luck & happy shrimpingjibdcb

This is my weather for past week

Today 45°C , Wed 45.5°C, Tue 43.6°C, Mon 45.1°C Sun 42.7°C

and back to 44 tomorrow :)

• HOF Member

Do you have a chiller Oz?

We have cooler weather and now flooding around town -go figure??? I have to say I really prefer cooler weather now- I can't believe I used to go out riding in hot weather -up to about 32 then I wouldn't make my poor horse work, but I loved the heat not, any more though and not over 35 . Now it's hard to just go out and hang up washing in the heat.

Yeah i brought a chiller which handles like 800 litres down by like 10-12 degrees so my tank is never over 25 degrees since i got it on a 4 ftr.

I just increased my water flow as i have a weird filter setup now lol

• HOF Member

I need to get one for a 200 litre tank but I think I also need a new canister filter to go with it as the canister I have is rated up to 250 litres but I don't think that flow rate is bog enough for a chiller? It's an Eheim 2213 that I got for my 30 " tank but I am not using that tank just now so the canister is on a 24" until I can set it up on the 200 litre tank.

Today 45°C ' date=' Wed 45.5°C, Tue 43.6°C, Mon 45.1°C Sun 42.7°C

and back to 44 tomorrow :)[/quote']

That is just not right to be having temps so consistently above 40 think i will stay here in Qld. WE are going to have temps around 37-38deg in the next few days. Hope all your shrimp survive best of luck.

Today 45°C ' date=' Wed 45.5°C, Tue 43.6°C, Mon 45.1°C Sun 42.7°C

and back to 44 tomorrow :)[/quote']

bugger that for a joke

Ineke i run a Hailea H300A along with a Otto 450G on my 220L tank, this seems to keep water temp at a constant 23deg through all the hot weather we have been having. Hope this may help with your decision making.

• HOF Member

Thanks Gary. I don't know much about chillers or canister filters so any bit of info is a big help. I'm lucky that I can get help from Eshrimp - he runs a few chillers and canisters- as I wouldn't know the first thing about setting them up. I have been very happy with the computer fans but I think the 3 degree swing may be a bit too much for TB's so definitely need the chiller for them.

Just a pro tip Ineke, don't go too big with the water flow on the chiller as it will reduce the contact time inside the chiller & make it work harder, the lower the better! :beer:

• HOF Member

thanks Squiggs but do you need to match the chiller flow rate with the canister? If the chiller is 1000 l/hr does your canister need to be able to handle 1000 l/ hr? Will having a slower canister flow rate cause back pressure in the chiller? I also need to find out how the 2 interact - does the canister take the water to the chiller and then the chiller returns it to the tank? I need to read up on all this before I even start looking. Time for another visit to Eshrimp and see how it all works me thinks:help:

The rating is the maximum lph you can push through the chiller without loosing efficient contact time, as I said before, slower is better, I would suggest between 500-800lph. The filter usually pushes the water through the chiller before it goes back into the tank for two reasons, the water going through the chiller is clean & you should get less build up in the chiller as they are pretty difficult to clean internally & the water will be chilled just before entering the tank & therefore, it will remove any heat produced inside the canister filter, which can have an effect on the tank temp. :beer:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggs I will google a few to get an idea but I will definitely ask Eshrimp as his tank is only a bit bigger than mine plus he runs several tanks with chillers and is a big fan of the Fluval 3G canisters which seem to match up nicely with the chiller he has.

I have a Hailea HC500a Suitable for aquariums up to 1000L and has a recommended flow 1200-3000 LPH. My Filtration system was an Aquis 1250 canister flowing into a aquis 600 then into the chiller but after noticing the suction in the tank was low i made changes, now it consists of an eheim 2000lph pump going into my aquis 1250 then into my 600 canister then into chiller and back into tank lol.

Basically the way it was described to me when i brought my chiller is they all will have their minimum flow rate required however if you go higher the greater flow just affects the amount of degree's in which the water would be chilled.

For instance you have a 4ft tank 120ltrs or whatever it is like in my situation my chiller may be suitable for an aquarium up to 1000 litres. So the chiller is overkill for my tank but it allows greater temperature dropping abilities. I may for instance base on my current filtration system be satisfactorily able to prevent my temp from reaching 40 degrees for example and keep it stable at 25. If i was to increase my filtration rate from a hypthetical 2000lph to 5000lph then my chiller would drop in effectiveness and might only be able keep my tank at 30 degrees in the same situation due the higher flow of water flowing through the chiller it provides less time for the water to be chilled.

Faster the water goes through the chiller and larger the tank the longer it takes to drop the water temperature or requires more work is basically what i am trying to say lol. Sorry if this makes now sense i am really tired

• HOF Member

Clear as mud :Scratch-Head: It's all good though as I shall pester Eshrimp and I'm sure he will set me in the right direction. My tank that needs the chiller is an Aqua 980 which is an oversized 3 foot tank but holds 210 litres or there abouts -it's very deep and very wide- so will need a bigger canister than my 2213 . So when I have enough money saved I will get them both at the same time so they are matched to each other, which will save a few headaches I'm sure. Just have to persuade Alan that it's a need not a want:blowkiss:

you dont necassarily have to use a canister you can use just a straight pump to get the water through it the only issue you might encounter is just increase risk of sediment and what not building up inside the canister

• HOF Member

I think it's best to filter the water before it goes into the chiller from what I have read so far. I've been told about the only way to clean the chiller is to take a hose and flush it out for a good while so filtering first is a good idea. I want a canister on the big tank as I only have a large overhead trickle filter and 4 large sponge filters on it. It keeps the water in excellent condition but after losing my chocolates through a faulty trickle filter I am a bit worried about it plus there will be a lot of shrimp in there as most of my culls or shrimp I don't need to breed with will be kept in there.