Cloudy water.

K9932

I decided to put this in general as im not sure where it should be placed.

In one of my tanks the water went a little cloudy 2 days later I did my weekly 20% water change and (now) 2 days later the water has gotten even cloudier..

What could this be?

*well established tank for over 7 months

*minimal feeding every 3 days

Could be a number of things.

1) Stirred up sediment. But unlikely since this should have cleared rather quickly. Certainly would have cleared up after 2 days.

2) Dissolved Constituents -the next most likely cause of cloudy water in a newly filled tank is a high level of dissolved constituents such as phosphates, silicates, or heavy metals. Quickly, test the water. Is the pH high (alkaline)? In these cases, treating the water with conditioners will often resolve the problem.

What water did you use?

3) Bacterial Bloom - Usually experienced when setting up a new aquarium and the start of a cycle. There is a possibility that your beneficial bacteria might have died off. Monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Used regular tap water.

Ph was fairly high so I added some IAL to help bring it down.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.25

And just realised im out og one of my nitrate droppers :(

Did you use enough dechlorinator? Chlorine/chloramine in the tap water might have killed off some BB in your tank.

0.25 nitrite doesn't look good. Might be a mini cycle due to BB dying off in that tank.

Got any used media from another filter you can use?

By chance do u have any plants in there that are flowering? I had a similar issue and the moment the bloom stopped the cloudy water went away.

Buca's seem to do it.

I say bacterial bloom, even tanks setup for months will have this. Add some beneficial bacteria, should clear up in week or so when balances out.

And it's still cloudy after so many days?

What's your ammonia & nitrite readings like? Still showing nitrites ?

I adjusted PH slowly and Nitrites and ammonia is 0

I am checking Nitrates first thing tomorrow.

Have added activated carbon also.

I've got a tank that's got a cloudy issue, but never bothered me, as it never seem to affect the shrimps. Recently moved it to a more visible area....and it started bothering me :-) tried, bicochem, nitrazorb, purigen, carbon, without any success.....then tried API accuclear @ 10% recommended dosage.....and the water is clear, but after a day, it gets cloudy again.... Going to continue with accuclear for a week, and will report the results...

just a thought but I had a quick look into the barley straw mentioned in a group buy, I wonder if it could be a potential solution?

tried' date=' bicochem, nitrazorb, purigen, carbon, without any success.....then tried API accuclear @ 10% recommended dosage.....[/quote']

Do you have a UV filter you can try?

That sounds great Bluebolts, I hope all goes well. Let me know!

Was the group buy on here BristledOne? I'll check it out..

I don't have a UV filter unfortunately Jayc :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey BB, how did the trial go with API accuclear? My tank has cleared a little with time but still very cloudy.

Absolutely fantastic.... 1st trail, I only used 4 drops on the 25lt (recommends 2 drops per 3.8lt, i.e. 13 drops), so 30% of the recommended dosage, and it cleared up the tank, but got cloudy within 24 hours. So applied 6 drops, and the tank is absolutely clear till today :-)....PM me your address, and I can send some over to ya......

Oh perfect! Glad to hear it worked.

No that's okay, I'm pretty sure I have some in my fish accessories boxes lol. I'll just have to fish it out (lol) :P