Almost a Green

Baccus

I just did a night time raid on my goldfish pond, since I know that's a sure fire way of spotting the shrimp which have come up from the depths to investigate any new food in the pond. After bringing my catch back up to the shed and decent light I discovered this interesting female.

P1040087_zpse884abeb.jpg

She actually looks greener in the flesh and her eggs are green too which I find interesting since all of my cherry shrimp have always had orange/ yellow eggs

P1040089_zpsdebd8ec5.jpg

P1040088_zpsa617f5ea.jpg

Sorry for the quality, she would not settle down. I will try and get some better pictures once she has settled into a tank.

She is most likely the last survivor from either some yellows that I had that failed to thrive or descendant from a failed chocolate breeding project. Failed only because of a dragonfly caddis invasion that saw most of my chocolates eaten before I knew the invaders where in the tank.

Cool, whats the WPof your pond. Interesting to kmow if the change of WP, in particular PH, would alter its colour ? Time to get more tanks...LOL

To tell the truth I have never tested the ponds water, I might actually do that sometime today and then compare that to my catfish tank where I put the shrimp. The only real difference between the two bodies of water (aside from volume) is the pond gets any rain water when (if) it rains and has more leaf litter in the water from the over hanging trees.

Unfortunately no more tanks for me, I already have seven but they are all housing fish and only some of those fish will not view shrimp as dinner.

Basically the shrimp that went into the pond where originally accidential hitch hikers which ended up growing up and breeding in there, but at one point I did put a lot of excess cherry shrimp in the pond, mostly reds which seem to also have blue gene mixed in with them. When I ended up with only one yellow cherry left I ended up putting it in with some of my reds because I couldn't get any more yellows and hated it being left a spinster or bachelor until its dying day. Then at some point some descendants of chocolate cherry shrimp ended up in the pond some how (most likely hitch hiked again- my shrimp are good little travellers LOL) and the pond just sort of became a melting pot of genetics.

I have also found some more self appearing rili gene cherries in the pond too, so the pond really is a cauldron of possibilities. Its a rather fun lucky dip of what I will find in there.

I was unable to get any better pictures of the green(ish) female since it was so hellishly hot and humid here I let her out of the temporary holding cage so she could escape into some cooler recesses of the tank.

I did how ever do another pond raid and got this rather promising male , he is more of a blue green and quite pretty I think.

P1040131_zps9478fd9c.jpg

P1040162_zps305a9d03.jpg

P1040164_zpsec4790f6.jpg

P1040169_zpse8ee2390.jpg

P1040170_zps1244c700.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!