Care sheet for new shrimp keepers.

scottymac

I have been thinking about this for a while.

I wish I had the time to do something like this but I feel that other shrimpkeepers in this community possess the knowledge and computer skills to do a way better job than I could myself.

Is there a care sheet anywhere that I could use when giving shrimp to a friend?

I know there is much debate and different advice on "perfect parameters" and use of buffering substrates etc with each different species of shrimp.

But is there any way of putting basically all the info to help a beginner shrimp keeper to have the best chance to A. keep them alive and B. Keep them happy. Maybe start with cherries and draw from collective resources as to the range in which these are doing well in.

Information on acclimatizing your new shrimp to their new environment.

Grades, Patterns and features valued by breeders for increasing the quality of their shrimp.

Big job I know but I guess I would feel better when giving shrimp to someone else if I knew that I could explain these things well enough.

Anyway, what does everyone think?

I have been thinking about this for a while.

I wish I had the time to do something like this but I feel that other shrimpkeepers in this community possess the knowledge and computer skills to do a way better job than I could myself.

Is there a care sheet anywhere that I could use when giving shrimp to a friend?

I know there is much debate and different advice on "perfect parameters" and use of buffering substrates etc with each different species of shrimp.

But is there any way of putting basically all the info to help a beginner shrimp keeper to have the best chance to A. keep them alive and B. Keep them happy. Maybe start with cherries and draw from collective resources as to the range in which these are doing well in.

Information on acclimatizing your new shrimp to their new environment.

Grades' date=' Patterns and features valued by breeders for increasing the quality of their shrimp.

Big job I know but I guess I would feel better when giving shrimp to someone else if I knew that I could explain these things well enough.

Anyway, what does everyone think?[/quote']

Maybe I posted this in the wrong section, just wanted to know what everyone thinks and if there is already such thing?

I turn to SKF whenever I need to know something. That's probably the next best thing, since there is such a wide variety of topics from water, cycling, to plants, fertilisers, equipment, substrate, etc, before we even touch the subject of the actual shrimp.

You're right…there's a lot of work to accurately cover all basis, and variations of each individuals tank.

All the info is on this forum, and the education of shrimp keeping is better serve with communicating/asking question…etc on the forum….others learn as well, so it's a great resource to get interactive.

Good positive idea.:applause:

• Like 1

I agree all the information is on this forum,

but I think it would be difficult to convince someone to join a forum before you will let them have or buy shrimp.

Maybe just an intro to shrimp keeping flyer with a want to learn more find it on SKF.

Members that sell shrimp to LFS could give a copy for Aquarium to hand out to interested people when selling shrimp.

Any thoughts?

I think Scottymac has a good idea there, I often get asked about parameters of the different shrimp when people buy shrimp from me. Mainly ph and such. There was a link to a page with all the parameters somewhere on this forum maybe a printed copy of that to give to people?

• 2 months later...

It's a great idea!

Would making it a sticky have it stay at the top of the topic & make it easier to find?

I'm a Newbie & I'm trying to find out about other shrimp to keep with our Red Cherrys, especially the water parameters for them, & I've found it a little harder than I thought. I found a dwarf shrimp compatibility chart else where, but it doesn't have some of our Australian natives on it, (eg North Australian Chameleon Shrimp), and could be missing some others or list shrimp that aren't available here. It says on the chart that it's intended to prevent crossbreeding, but I am also trying to find which ones have the closest or biggest overlap with their preferred water parameters as well.

I like this idea, maybe a half a4 page with brief comments on water parameters, substrates, feeding etc. I will see how the week goes but might review what we already have available and draft something up for peer review (i dont consider myself anywhere near as knowledgeable about specifics as other keepers on the forum)

• HOF Member

That would be great Wraithie. I get a lot of pm's requesting specific info and although I know it's all here it can be hard to find so consolidating some of this information on a care sheet would help everyone.

How about we start with the "Starting a New Tank" as the first topic. Since that topic literally covers tank size/type, Tank Cycling, substrate choice, Mineral and Bacterial additives, and water parameters all in one go. Each can be a subtopic within Starting a New Tank.

It's the most logical place for a new shrimp keeper to start. We all had to start with setting up the tank first.

While the tank is cycling there is enough time for the choice of shrimp. Which further dictates water parameters.

Feeding schedule/frequency and choice of food comes next.

And finally, Maintenance. What needs to be done daily, weekly or even monthly.