DEAD BERRIED TB FEMALE!

chopper

Well.... a few weeks ago my berried female Ruby Red DIED!! At the time it was my only TB female (so I thought) and I was truly devastated.

I did a quick bit of research on artificially care/hatching of the eggs etc, couldn't find out to much, as I didn't want to waste to much time, so this is what I did-

Firstly- I took the female shrimp and put her is a shallow plastic dish with some tank water in it, and with 2 wooden toothpicks very carefully removed the eggs from her, her body fell to pieces during this[ATTACH]6247[/ATTACH]

Then I separated the eggs from each other, took a little while as they are pretty much"glued" together.

Now I needed somewhere to put them. The best idea I could think of was in a mesh breeding box, the eggs wouldn't fall through and I would be able to get enough water flow over the eggs to keep them healthy. The only problem with the mesh was I had read somewhere that snails could suck the eggs right through it, hmmm all my tanks have snails... so after a bit of thought I realised my sump had no snails, wuhoo! And it had plenty of water flow, so I decided to place the breeder box there[ATTACH]6248[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6249[/ATTACH]

I also placed 2 large air stones underneath the box as a bit of over kill, I thought to much water flow would be better than not enough in this situation. And I waited.......and waited....after 1 week I could notice a big change in the colour of the eggs, the were definitely getting darker[ATTACH]6250[/ATTACH]

I didn't dare get exited though, I didn't want to jinx them, I just checked on them every day making sure they had good water flow over them and that the eggs weren't all sitting on top of each other in the same spot, I had to move them around a few times to stop this happening. Nervous operation let me tell you.

Well after about 3 weeks....

[ATTACH]6251[/ATTACH]

I found 3 of these little guys, the next day there was 4 more! Wasn't sure if I should leave them in the breeder box for a few days or put them straight into a tank, and after a quick call to Squiggle (thanks Squiggs), I decided to put them straight into a tank, more food, better conditions etc.

It's been about 2 weeks now since they hatched and all 7 are going strong and I couldn't be happier, so happy. Meanwhile back in my actual tanks while all this was happening, I have 3 berried TB females, 2 BB's and a panda, happy days

I just thought I'd share this with you guys in case it happens to any of you, and hopefully it might help

Kind Regards, Andy

post-1371-139909864545_thumb.jpg

post-1371-139909864548_thumb.jpg

post-1371-139909864551_thumb.jpg

post-1371-139909864554_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Andy, sorry to hear of your loss but great you found a brilliant solution and got such a positive result! All the best with the shrimplets, keep us posted!!

Awesome work dude, that's suck a great result! So glad they have survived, well done! :encouragement:

Good going Andy! 7 for 1 ain't too bad :triumphant: ;) they look awesome too :)

Congratz Andy....that's fantastic news and well done on the artificial hatching :happydance:

So glad to see your hard work and persistence pay off.... Just ensure you monitor your TDS, GH, and there's plenty of powdered food :-)

Hey Andy' date=' sorry to hear of your loss but great you found a brilliant solution and got such a positive result! All the best with the shrimplets, keep us posted!![/quote']Thanks Newbreeed, will do:encouragement:Cheers, Squiggs & Brissy, can't wait to show you guys next time your over:victorious:Thanks BB, and will def monitor TDS, GH and plenty of powdered food, thanks for the tip:D:D:D