Heaters on or off

ineke

• HOF Member

During the hot spell I turned my heaters off because even at their lowest setting of 20 they would turn on occasionally. Now it has cooled down my tanks are all at 20 and I'm a bit unsure of what to do. My son will only be at the house some of the time we are away and he has no idea about shrimp keeping anyway. I am worried that a heater may malfunction and stay on so thought leaving them off while I'm away would be OK . Now I'm a bit worried about the tanks getting too cold - gosh first it was too hot now too cold ??.?..

What are your thoughts on heaters over summer?

• HOF Member

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to put them on timers as they are too spread out but that is a great idea.

I would leave them off cause shrimp will handle lower temps of as low as 18deg better than they handle hot temps, I'm sure the temps won't get that low while you're away. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I'm leaning that way as the heaters are all new and haven't been run for very long so not sure how good they are. I guess the main tank wouldn't get much lower than 18 and that has the delicate shrimp. The cherry tanks have less volume so they may fluctuate a bit more but being a bit cold is better than getting cooked if a heater is playing up. I don't know why some of them came on when the tank was 21 and the heater was set at 20 - I guess they have a small plus or minus tolerance.

Oh dear, sorry ineke, just realised I forgot all about the heaters….:redface-new: Hope it's OK if I send it out tomorrow :spank:

I don't know why some of them came on when the tank was 21 and the heater was set at 20 - I guess they have a small plus or minus tolerance.

ive noticed the same with my heaters. some seem to be spot on while others vary by a degree or 3

• HOF Member
Oh dear' date=' sorry ineke, just realised I forgot all about the heaters….:redface-new: Hope it's OK if I send it out tomorrow :spank:[/quote']

it's OK BB you are forgiven especially as I have quite a few spare ones now so please pass them on to someone else:encouragement: