How did you fare with the heat wave

ineke

• HOF Member

Well finally a bit of relief from the heat. My Crystal tank reached no higher than 24 but stayed around 22 most of the time with a few times going down to 20. This was achieved with 4 computer fans and on the day it reached 24 I put some frozen ice bricks in there. No losses at all in that tank :)

the shrimp room tanks went up to 26 for short periods but mostly 24 was the highest here too . The ceiling fan worked well plus of course the house has ducted evaporative air conditioning but that struggled and was at 32 for sometime in the late afternoons. Again no losses so I'm very happy with that.

My RO reservoir became too hot to be able to do water changes so I made some fresh RO but even that was hotter than the tank water so ice bricks were put into the buckets before water change could be done.

my biggest disappointment was deciding to move my TB's and Mischlings into my 980 as the tank they were in (even with a fan on it) kept creeping up to 23 and I didn't want to chance losing them. So now they are mixed in with my Crystals and Tibees - I know most of them but as I haven't had a lot of luck with breeding them I have decided to leave them in the community tank - I never got them for selling on so I'm still happy with having them in the community tank. I also found over 40 babies in the TB / Mischling tank when I was catching them out so they did finally start breeding again but I haven't had much luck raising the babies either- think my forte is with the cherry varieties. Lesson learnt here I must get a chiller before next summer !

So how did everyone else go?

my cherry shrimp tank got up to 27degrees ao one stage (all my fish tanks got up to 27-30)

i lost one berried red cherry

all i had time to do was leave the lids off, shorten the time the lights were on (all currently fluros but i will be going to led's soon) and told the wife to blast the ac through the middle of the day. i dropped some ice cubes in when it got to its hottest

i need to sort out a better way to cool everything down during summer before i move onto more tempramental shrimp in the future

I survived without to many dramas. Had the a/c on non stop from Monday to Friday (only evap) so the house was probably no hotter than 28-30 most the time. Lids off and wet towels around the tanks may have helped keep my tanks below 27 most the time. I only have 3 - 1 with fish, 1 with shrimp and fish and a nano with shrimp only. The nano is currently living under the stairs on the concrete floor so that probably helped too! Even managed to spot a few CBS shrimplets in there too![ATTACH]6245[/ATTACH]Sorry about the poor pic!!

post-3620-139909855712_thumb.jpg

I was away during the day for 3 of the 40+ days but didn't have any losses. The evaporative cooling was on which probably kept the house at around 25-30 but unfortunately one of my tanks (the one with CBS) is in the bedroom which is by far the hottest room in the house. I just increased the aeration on the tanks and put RO ice blocks in when I was home. For the tank in the bedroom I also aimed the fan on it for the whole week. Two tanks got up to 27 at some points but the shrimp (including crystals) seem fine. I am only assume my tanks have a lot of oxygen in the water.

I was lucky. Away for three of the hottest, but luckily used last year's tax return to get two chillers and they kept the tanks under 23.5.

Expensive but best investment yet. No losses as far as I can see. Just glad TB tank stays stable.

Here's hoping we don't see any more weeks like that this summer!!

• HOF Member

That's for sure we don't need that type of heat. Chiller has moved up to the top of the list now. Just need to learn a bit more about them. I have an Eheim 2213 canister which will be moved to my 200 litre tank and then need to find a chiller suitable for that. Hopefully the canister is good enough as its only 6 months old and I'm not sure if I can afford another canister and a chiller but I have a few months to find out what I need ready for next summer. In the mean time I very happy with the performance of the computer fans, they worked extremely well under hot conditions.

They did a great job considering how toasty it got!! Good that you had them ready to roll! This hobby definitely teaches you to forward plan!

With all the heat around I was always watching my temps.. I get a nice cool sea breeze where I am generally and my tanks have not gone above 25.8 :) i bought 2 big chillers and thought i might end up using them.. i may still have to but not yet.

That's for sure we don't need that type of heat. Chiller has moved up to the top of the list now. Just need to learn a bit more about them. I have an Eheim 2213 canister which will be moved to my 200 litre tank and then need to find a chiller suitable for that. Hopefully the canister is good enough as its only 6 months old and I'm not sure if I can afford another canister and a chiller but I have a few months to find out what I need ready for next summer. In the mean time I very happy with the performance of the computer fans' date=' they worked extremely well under hot conditions.[/quote']

I dont think a 2213 hooked up with a chiller will cope with 200L.. it might.. but it may also struggle for flow rate.. from memory its 440lph and ur tank is 200L.. it will slow from 440 to maybe 400 once connected if not even more. u should have at least 3-5 times the flow of ur tank size. for 200L i would go at least 2215 but more so the 2217(1000lph flow perfect for 200L). in my 130L divided i have 2x2213 with no chiller but decent flow rate.. it was much better after adding the second 2213 as it now has good circulation. Personally i think 2213 on 200L would struggle especially because u want to add a chiller and by the sounds of it the chiller will be hard at work. Good excuse for a brand new 2217! ;)

Sorry if this isnt good news :dejection:

You just need to find a chiller for ur tank size not the canister size.

Check resun or hailea for a good start :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks for that . i had just read about it and you are right although the 2213 might cope with 200 litres (i also have other filters in this tank) it would not have enough flow rate for the chiller. I will just break it to hubby gently- he has already agreed to the chiller so whats another couple of hundred dollars:beer:

come where i live its regularly 40+ in summer especially lately. Its 40 here atm to and its nearly 9pm. About a week and a half ago it hit 47 but u can add a couple extra because our weather station reader thing is under cover

• HOF Member

Considering how hot it got I think we fared pretty well. I wouldn't like to live in an area that was this hot all the time though.

My new fishroom stayed at a comfortable 26C on the top level of the racks and 20-21C on the bottom level. I keep my shrimp on the 2nd level which stayed at 22-23C. All the expense of putting in insulation have paid off. Plus running the evaporative cooling in the rest of the house would have helped as well I am sure.

Good news is I do not need to install an RC unit in the fishroom :wave:

Considering how hot it got I think we fared pretty well. I wouldn't like to live in an area that was this hot all the time though.

oh come on ineke sure you would lol! two years and i am out of this place

• HOF Member

Yes I would be too. I used to love the heat. Spent a couple of xmas days out on a cattle station near Springsure in Qld. it was hot but I loved it, also spent a lot of time outside in the heat with my own horses and loved it but now I'm getting a bit soft. in 2012 we came back from Qld through Mt Isa and down the Stuart Hwy with most days around 38 that was the last time I said I love this heat. I think it's better to rug up and be out in the cold now- used to hate the cold but not as much now:rolleyes:

Hi Ineke, glad your shrimp survived the last week of the heat. Guess what! we've got it all over again 39deg here tomorrow and climbing from there on. So back to praying and hoping no deaths here in the next week. BTW enjoy your hols.

• HOF Member

I guess we should be used to it and it was never a real problem before shrimp now its a worry every time it gets over thirty. We have made sure the airconditioner comes on automatically now so I feel a little less worried about leaving them.

Thank s for the good wishes for our holiday. It should be great, as long as Alan doesn't get seasick we should have a ball.

G'day Ineke, just a little trick i learnt years ago about sea sickness, if Alan (your husband) suffers from sea sickness and if he is right handed put some cotton wool in his left ear to totally close the entrance to the ear canal and if left handed the right ear. You may think this is all bull but believe me it works, try it you could be surprised.

• HOF Member

Thanks for that I will definitely give that a try. We have medication but I would prefer to try the cotton wool first :) will let you know if it worked when we get back :)

we are all packed and ready to go. Took the dogs to the kennels - felt so bad they were excited to go for a ride in the car then we had to leave them. The little one dug her heels in and had to be carried but the bigger one was fine apart from trying to bite the owner. They will be fine once we leave them just bravado while protecting us. :)