Selective breeding Q

K9932

Hey gang!

So just a little curious on selective breeding. I understand most factors on breeding father & mother and what to look for in a shrimp etc

What I would like to know is selecting their offspring..

At what age should you either *cull* or move promising looking offspring to new tanks for different breeding programs.

*For example*

I have chocolate cherries and in my last batch I have noticed some blue babies and some darker black babies.

I want to move them into another section so I can hopefully use their colour and improve my bloodlines.

I don't want to move them too soon and the young ones get stressed, don't adjust to the new tank and die. And I don't want them getting too old and breeding with the shrimp in the current tank.

(Hopefully this made sense)

Any info appreciated

Cheers,

!Kristy :happydance:

For me where I have Cherry Shrimp in with my KKs or CRSs I wait until they hit about 10 - 12mm, at this size I can see most traits and it provides a pretty good indication. I then either cull leaving only those that meet exactly what I'm looking for plus a small number that are close to what I'm looking for. The rest these days either end up in a spare tank or get cooked and come back as food for their colleagues.

Also getting them out at this stage reduces the chance of breeding and preventing the introduction of traits you don't want. Some you'll know at the 8mm mark whether they have what you're looking for, for me if its obvious they're not going to get the colour I'm looking for then they're gone!

Thanks for the feedback!

That sounds like a pretty spot on way to tell. I'll give it a go (mine are still too small at the moment but in a few weeks)

:D