Some Coffs Harbour natives

fishmosy

Caught these guys from a creek nearby here (Coffs Harbour). They are currently in a fry saver in my cichlid display tank (pH 8) and are doing surprisingly well. I don't know what they are but I should try to work it out.

P1000268_zpsbd0cb9aa.jpgP1000291_zpsbd2af0dd.jpgP1000329_zpsba7be0af.jpg

This female has held its dark colouration surprisingly well, usually they fade away really quickly.

P1000293_zps9c34bb5c.jpgP1000322_zps8d8b7508.jpgP1000270_zpse68c8559.jpgP1000282_zpsdd45dcae.jpgP1000286_zpsd2fd9b37.jpgP1000288_zpse95fe583.jpg

Interestingly I believe there is another cryptic species of shrimp in the same creek. I've caught them before but you only catch 1 for every 200 or so of these shrimp and only in a certain type of habitat (tree roots in swift flowing water). These are similar looking but are black with tiny white stripes on the tail. I believe they could be a different species because they seem to have a longer rostrum (nose) than the shrimp here. Must go catch one to photograph and send to the shrimp boffins for ID.

Thanks for sharing…how interesting, they look really nice. If they much on clad, I need 1000 of them…..one of my racks is infested with clado ATM.

Luv these little guys , amazing what you can find if you just get out there and look.

• 2 months later...

That's one amazing Paratya you have there. Just exactly the sort I look for to breed. A very lucky find indeed, they are few and far between. Also take note where you found it because out here at Manilla there is only one stretch of river where colourful Paratya can be found and I have only ever found a handful of ones similar to the one you found.

If you manage to get that beauty to breed be sure to let us know. I am actually planning to come up to Coffs some time soonish and want to hunt some Shrimp. Can you recommend any places to look?

Congrats on that lovely shrimp.

Thanks mate. Pretty much anywhere in the hills behind Coffs is good. Another good place is never never creek near bellingen, particularly if you like riffles.

My best mate has 120 acres at glenreagh with a couple of rainforest creeks, if the local coffs want i can see if i can hook up a day for you all to go out exploring. I have only walked around a km without a net and seen some life.

Cheers mick

My best mate has 120 acres at glenreagh with a couple of rainforest creeks' date=' if the local coffs want i can see if i can hook up a day for you all to go out exploring. I have only walked around a km without a net and seen some life.

Cheers mick[/quote']

Yes, I would definitely be up for that. Will add you t my friends list and hit you up the next time I am plnning to come up.