Hi Everybody

Matty

Hi all,

I havent introduced myself so I thought it was time. I have been breeding red cherry shrimp for over a year now (well they breed themselves lol), and I am just setting up two foot cubes for some yellow cherry's and red rilli shrimp. I will post a thread about it, as one will will contain the fluval plant substrate and the other tank will contain the shrimp substrate. I really dont think there is much difference between the two but may be wrong. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and another member of this forum put me onto this site and I hope to contribute anyway I can.

Cheers

Matty

welcome to SKF matty, look forward to seeing your collection!

Thanks guys for all the positive replys, I was going to review the soils as I progress.

I have just set up the tank on the left today, and the right hand side tank has been cycling since monday:

cyclingcubesedit.jpg

The filtration is a Eden501 (on each tank), with one section containing seachem matrix and the other containing the sponge. I just dont think the bio-noodles would be enough, and I had seachem matrix left over from another set up that I am currently working on. The Eden seems to be a great little unit so far, it is really quiet and considering these tanks are in my bedroom that is important.

There was a little bit of modifying to make sure they fit fine on the cubes. Firstly I had to cut the intake pipe down as it is quite long for a cube this size, and I only used one hose tubing which was cut to size. So now I have two spares, which will come in handy sometime.

The heating is undertaken in each tank by a 25 watt AquarWorld Aqua Therm heater. I hope they will be sufficient I just couldnt justify spending the money to heat a foot cube with a jager.

I still need to actually adapt the right hand side cube to have a lid that fits, and also need to modify the lid on the left hand cube so that I can have it fitting correctly with the external filter.

My first impression of the soils was that they are quite good.

The Plant substrate (right hand side tank) seems to cloud the tank more than the shrimp substrate (left hand side) does initially, I washed both soils before putting in as thats reccommended, and they are slowly clearing up. The shrimp soil is more of a ball shape whereas the plant substrate is mixed in size and sometimes looks like flakes and sometimes looks like balls. Otherwise I cannot tell you anything more about them, I know a friend had problems with his shrimp substrate floating a lot but it subsided after a few hours so this isnt really an issue. He has been happy with the shrimp substrate so far, and hasnt told me of any losses. Please excuse the crappy photo quality as it was taken with my camera on my phone.

Hello Matty' date=' nice to meet you Enjoy[/quote']Cheers mateCheers! Brisbane is full of shrimp people, you've just got to look in the right areas :PCheers Mate, Not much of a collection, just a few shrimp, L-numbers, Bristlenose, Cories and Discus. A few tanks to keep me busy.Thanks Jess, not much to show on the new tanks apart from above :)I will write down my experiences as I go, it seems good so far. I will also ask other people that have tried the soil that I know and see their input. It would be great to have someone set up a cube with each different substrate and then go through each of them comprehensively. Maybe someone will find the time and money to do something like that one day. Thanks Loach, not much to see yet, hopefully will be looking great soon enough :).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Sorry for not posting in a while but I have just been crazily busy, that said I have finally got my act together and sorted out the two cubes which are shown below:

Mountain_zpsbe214200.jpgTree_zpsdd7d4a50.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality shots they are taken from my phone. The tree tank contains five yellow cherrys, I did have six but one died that was berried and disappeared. The other tank contains three rilli shrimp. I will have to get my numbers up soon, but for now they will have to do and hopefully they will breed. I did start out with 10 yellows and 6 rillis but I was losing them slowly in the breeder box while I was waiting for my tanks to cycle and the filters to arrive etc (long story).

Thanks for looking everyone.

Welcome to the forum buddy!

I'd really love a review on the Eden 501's?

really nice looking tanks so far, Love the shape of the driftwood!