Hot week ahead

ineke

• HOF Member

SA ( and Victoria) are having a very hot week in the 40's everyday phew not pleasant. Not being able to get a chiller this year I got hubby to hook up 4 computer fans to a thermostat controller on my 200 litre tank in the lounge which houses my Crystals and some Cherries - unfortunately I placed the tank in a corner of the lounge that gets quite warm despite our air conditioner being on. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this works- I had been given a single fan by Eshrimp which managed to bring the tank temp down by 1 degree-but the new system is managing to keep the tank between 21 and 22 - it will be interesting to see how we'll it works when we get to the mid forties during the week. At the moment the wires haven't been fixed just twisted together but tomorrow we have some proper joiners coming to make it safer and look more tidy ( this is a 12 volt system with a transformer) . So hopefully I won't need to use ice blocks to cool the tank down. In my shrimp room I have ducted airconditioning although it doesn't cope well in really hot weather as its an evaporative system it is working with the help of the ceiling fan to keep my tanks in there at 23.4 and under which is good for the cherries however there is a tank with TB and Mischlings in there so the single fan has been put on that tank and being only a 60 litre tank the fan is keeping that at 22.7 so hopefully the shrimp will all get through this next few hot days.i have ice blocks and coolers ready but I'm keen to see how the tanks go as we leave for our cruise next week. Luckily my son will look after the tanks while I'm away but he will be at work part of the time . We have put the airconditioner on auto on and off so the tanks will still be kept cool - just hope it will be cool enough.jibdcb

• HOF Member

Daniel I don't have to carry buckets anymore Eshrimp set me up with the semi auto RO system all tanks done by hose now except the big tank- the hose doesn't reach that far- he has thoroughly spoilt me :bighug:.

It's been HOT today and this is meant to be one of the coolest days this week!! Fingers crossed all goes well.

• HOF Member

Yes we hit 42 the aircon can only manage to keep us at 30 . Perth isn't fairing much better with all the fires . Hope everyone keeps their shrimp cool and don't forget the other animals too. I was outside bringing in the washing and our little girl followed me out but once she stood on the pavers in the sun she quickly back tracked to the shade. I always feel sorry for the little dogs who are taken for walks on hot foot paths in the heat.

• HOF Member

Ouch yes way too hot. I was just in my shrimp room and had to laugh its the coolest room in the house!

Yes, it was indeed HOT over the weekend. A/C working overtime…… Get the room cool 24/7, rather then only switch on the Evap Unit/AC when it gets hot. Emergency RO ice blocks are the way to go ! Best of luck !

• HOF Member

We have set ours to come on before it gets hot while we are away and I'm leaving the ceiling fan going . I've also learnt after walking into my room during the early hours - I need to switch my heaters off as there were a few on through the night even though I had them turned down to the lowest setting which is 20 . I wondered why a couple of tanks were always warmer than the others and that was why. I will take the risk of the tanks getting a bit too cold rather than have them fighting the cooling effect of the aircon. Can't do much about the aircon not coping too well in extreme heat but so far the tanks have remained cool- I will be devastated if any tanks suffer big losses while we are away but I just can't do anymore than I have right now. We are thinking of getting a refrigerated cooler for our bedroom and venting it via a hole in the wall to the shrimp room next door. Can't afford to get individual chillers for each tank but a room aircon might work.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place for your holiday, fingers crossed everything goes well. jibdcb

Yeah, a room AC is the way to go…..I got a small samsung that can be controlled anywhere in the world via my iPhone :-) worked great whilst away during the xmas break

• HOF Member

Mmm don't think I would have phone coverage where I'm going LOL. I think I have done everything I can to ensure the best for my shrimp. Have mulberry leaves and IAL all ready to put into tanks and enough mulberry leaves for my son to put some in halfway thru the trip plus he will top up all the tanks which will be a breeze with the RO storage system I now have. There will be a little bit of dry food on top of each tank for him to drop in as well. The aircon is set to come on at 24 degrees- the thermostat area is always warmer than the shrimp room which is the coolest room in the house and it will shut off if it gets down to 21. The tank fan is set to come on at 22 and off at 21 which it does . The ceiling fan in the shrimp room will stay on and the tanks will have the front lid removed allowing for surface cooling by the fan , each tank has 2 sponge filters with rapid air bubbles going through them. I could also add an air stone but it might just be too much for the tanks with babies with the turbulence they cause. I think I have it covered other than power or pump failure. I'm thinking I might have 2 pumps running to each tank incase one breaks down or blows the airline off- I fact I will do that just to cover all bases. I will have a refrigerated aircon in the shrimp room for next summer and a chiller for my big tank in the lounge., but for now this is all I have to work with. If I say it quickly 11 days is not so long:worried:

Hope all stays safe for you Ineke while you are on hols. Cherries should be OK, we had these extremes recently with tank temps over 35deg and all my cherries survived but we still get very concerned when these conditions prevail. Looks like you have covered all bases with what you have available at your disposal. Enjoy your break and try not to worry to much.

• HOF Member

Thank you Shrimp Aqua - the next few days will tell if the tanks will stay cool enough. 43 and humid today, the evaporative cooler is struggling but the fans are doing their job and keeping the Crystals and Mischling/TB tanks cool. The cherry tanks are just over 24 but they have been higher than that when they were in my other room so they should be ok. The ceiling fan helps too.

Holy krap I hope you guys survive it without too many dramas!! I am so glad we don't have those temps to deal with.

I just had a Melbourne shipment canned because of the heat down there as they will sit at the airport to long.

It is 29 at home today and very nice.

Bob

We have been very lucky in Sydney as well.

27-28 today. Sunny with a cool breeze.

• HOF Member

Thanks for that Bob! We are in for a thunderstorm this afternoon but its not getting cooler 43.3 just now, the humidity will be awful if it rains. Tanks still under 23 for the Crystals and the cherries are just over 24 without tank fans. The worst part at the moment ??.? Hubby lying asleep snoring grrrrrr don't know if he is annoying me for snoring or if I'm jealous I can't nap aldvshlouqdb

I trust your shrimp will be OK now.

Thunder storms here are 3 or 4 thunder claps, rain and no wind. A bit different to Brisvagas some were wild there. At least with a Cyclone you know its coming and can get ready for it.

Bob

• HOF Member

the rain came and made it a bit more humid but according to weather zone the temp is down to 34 which is a huge drop. funny how now 34 sounds cool all of a sudden. tanks in the shrimp room stayed at 24 and the big tank which is in a very warm corner has stabilised at 23 so looks like we are OK today i'm pretty sure we reached 44 so going by that barring power failures the tanks should be fine while I'm away. I will add a bit of doom and gloom as I'm feeling a bit pessimistic at the moment i'm waiting to hear that there is a cyclone forming around the islands we are going to. I'm usually very optimistic but now I'm just worried!

Of course I blame Bob even if he is blonde -he brought up cyclone!!!!!

LOL I was looking at it because it is bringing us this much needed rain, I have had a 4 day weekend because we have had no fish at work (ninja?) so I was out last night looking for Togas and got blown to pieces, it was rough on the lake, so I got wet from rain and bow spray off the boat. I did see a lovely big Catfish, it would have been pushing 1.3 mts + and was not frightened by the boat at all.

So if it Cyclones it my fault, yea I can live with that. May be it is telling you to stay home with your shrimp???

Bob

Holey KRAP it is raining heavy at the moment, I can not hear the keys I am banging away on?

LOL I was looking at it because it is bringing us this much needed rain' date=' I have had a 4 day weekend because we have had no fish at work (ninja?) so I was out last night looking for Togas and got blown to pieces, it was rough on the lake, so I got wet from rain and bow spray off the boat. I did see a lovely big Catfish, it would have been pushing 1.3 mts + and was not frightened by the boat at all.

So if it Cyclones it my fault, yea I can live with that. May be it is telling you to stay home with your shrimp???

Bob

Holey KRAP it is raining heavy at the moment,[b'] I can not hear the keys I am banging away on?

Must be some serious rain if you are anywhere near as loud as my dad typing.

• HOF Member

Well I got a few facts wrong- we reached 45, we are going for 46 Wednesday and Thursday damn that's hot.

It's gone back up too the 34 didn't last long. We leave for Brisbane next week and on to the ship.

Bob I believe you are right I should stay home with my shrimp but hubby organised this trip - I would have paid a bit more and gone in our winter no worries about cooking my shrimp or getting caught up in a cyclone but this is the first holiday he has been left to organise so I must bite my tongue , go along and enjoy. All he is worried about is getting seasick:puke:

Enjoy the holiday Ineke. There is only so much we can do to keep the shrimp safe. I have to be away tonight for work so can't do anything, very frustrating!!

The council were hosing roads near us today to stop them melting!! ??

Hope my chillers do their job properly!

• HOF Member

That must be hot there then. As you say you can only do your best and my next big outlay will be a chiller but for now I've done what I can. Anyway next week will be cooler and we can all take a breathe count our losses or blessings and get on with it:beer:

OH dear Ineke.

They for cast the Cyclone to form on Thursday and track south well off the coast, BUT brining big seas to the cost down south. I had to tell you all right.

Bob