white fungal growth on crs

michael

Hi all I just found one of my berried crs has a white fungal growth on her she near her head. It's the first time I've noticed it I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it. What it is how it's caused and of course how to treat it.[ATTACH]6202[/ATTACH]

post-1567-139909864523_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

It's called Vorticella there is a sticky by Jayc at the top of this section ( shrimp Diseases and diagnosis) I can't get the link to work on my iPad.

Here is the link.

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5215-Shrimp-Diseases-and-Diagnosis

Looks like vorticella.

Do you notice the growth anywhere else? I only see it on the head.

Try the salt bath as mentioned in the sticky multiple times until all signs of it are gone.

Unfortunately the shrimp is berried, and might drop her eggs with all the extra handling.

She looks very advanced though, and might drop shrimplets soon (in a few days). You could keep her in a breeder cage and observe till the eggs are hatched. Once the eggs are hatched, you can try the salt bath treatment on the mama.

Or alternatively, she could moult it off, in which case it's a good idea to remove the moulted shell, and minimise infecting other shrimps that might eat the shell.

Either way, it's best to separate her into a breeder cage for ease of treatments/monitoring.

Good luck.

I used No Planaria to treat an infection by a similar parasite with good results (details are also in jayc's link)

Thanks guys I have tried to treat it with salt so fingers crossed she doesn't drop her eggs. It's terrible that that's my first worry not mummy shrimp but she is so close to droppin and I haven't had much success with my crs. I will put her in a breeder box and hopefully it doesn't. Transfer to the the other shrimp. And yes Jayc it's only on the head and it's only came up yesterday. I know because I've been watching this girl very closely