"EX" Low Light Shrimp Tank

planted

well ended up selling all my CRS/CBS, got a bit bored with them after quite a few years now.

sold them as a bulk lot of 300, but i recon the buyer got at least 500 by the time i got them all out. probably more.

still couldn't get them all for him though.

ended up putting 50 x harlequin Rasbora in there as well as 10 x Corydoras sterbai, already had 5 or so otto's in there too.

wanting to put a pair of royal whips in there next.

then some dwarf cichlids later on.

pic :

CustomTank4-1-14.jpg

Video from last night :

not the best quality, but best i could do at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiKf5v7rHY

Cheers guys.

put some more fish in today.

2 x Millennium Rainbowfish "Glossolepis pseudoincisus" "maybe a pair"

a pair of Scarlet Kribs "Pelvicachromis sacrimontis"

and a cpl of royal whip tails "hopefully a pair too ?

pic of the male Krib :

MaleScarletKrib1024.jpg

More pics tonight :

Female Scarlet Krib

FemaleScarletKrib13-1-14.jpg

another shot of the Male :

MaleScarletKrib13-1-14.jpg

Cory Sterbai :

CorySterbai13-1-14.jpg

one of the Millenium Rainbow "couldn't get a decent shot yet" but shows some nice colour in it so far.

MilleniumRainbow13-1-14.jpg

Cheers guys, i recon the kribs are going to lay any day now. doing all the right moves and found a nice little spot to call home :p

Kribs layed tonight :

KribEggs15-1-14.jpg

and while i had the camera out snapped a cpl of decent shots of the millenium rainbows, havn't looked into seeing how to sex them yet, but i think i have a pair by my untrained eye:p

MilleniumRainbow15-1-14.jpg

MilleniumRainbow315-1-14.jpg

MilleniumRainbow215-1-14.jpg

and one of the Rasbora's :

HarlequinRasbora.jpg

Tanks looking brilliant!! Thanks for sharing the video!

Always loved Kribs, congrats on the eggs!! Good to see some crs still about too!! :)

thank you :encouragement:

krib eggs are still there for now, thought they would of got eaten pretty quick for their first batch.

havn't seen too many CRS the last couple of days, only spotted one just now.

90mm Tamron macro lens Jay

Thanks Oz

this tank is very low maintenance, and because of the low light everything grows very slow, no trimming so far lol.

the only maintenance done is, now iv'e added quite a few fish i now do weekly water changes of approx 30-40%

when i had shrimps it was every 2-3 weeks, so that's increased a bit :

usually use the magnetic glass cleaner when doing water changes to give the glass a clean, but that's about it.

clean filter about every 3 months.

no ferts added so far to the tank other than 20 seachem root tabs around the bases of the few plants that are actually planted in the substrate.

My plants have grown a tiny bit but i find most i have had in the past tend to die. I have NL java, bolbitus and a sword plant which appear to be living without ferts or tabs and the like but have always wanted a plant that looks like that. MY problem is i keep getting brown algae so have cut my lights to about 3 hours which is an UP Aqua led z series, have contemplated buying another light but worried that it would just increase the algae

how long has the tank been running ? usually brown algae is diatoms, which usually occurs in a new "ish" tank setup.

have had it in the past, but it usually goes away by itself over a short period of time.

the lighting i have is just over 1w per gallon "3ft 4 x 24w compact fluoro" i run light for 7hrs a day.

not sure if the wpg scale is the same with LED lighting though ?

never used LED so can't help there sorry...

my tanks about a year old now, i will take a pic and show you but its nothing special. Finally cleaned most of the algae off yesterday you can still see some along the bottom at front.

Tank1_zps11de8c8d.jpg

Looks good OZ, i recon if you added more plants and maybe some faster growers it would solve your problem. or add a light with less power.

the plants you have in there require not much light at all to grow well ;)

Kribs fry got eaten after a few days, but thought they would. see what happens after a few lays, might get a few through one day :)

started to get a little bit of clado through out the tank in the last week or so, must be all the fish poop ? never used to get it until i put the fish in.

will keep a close eye on it...

more pics on Australia day :

kribs have settled in nicely now and showing good colour, the female turns her belly black and white all around the black when getting frisky with the male, it's cool to see.

will try get some pics of it if i can ?

MaleKrib102426-1-14-1.jpg

MaleKrib2102426-1-14-1.jpg

FemaleKrib102426-1-14-1.jpg

FemaleKrib3102426-1-14-1.jpg

FemaleKrib2102426-1-14-1.jpg

Those are some are some really pretty fish :) i havent kept fist for a few years now

Edit: tried to pm about plants but inbox is full. just wondering what sort of plants you would recommend for my tank as i am not dosing my tank or anything their just there lol

yeah loving the colours in the Kribs, this lot of fish is the first lot for me for a few years too.

a lot easier to take pics of than shrimps lol :)

the plants i have are Vallis "good along the back wall" along with crypt Balansae.

i also have a lot of narrow leaf java fern. normal java fern, crested fern.

also Bolbitus and hygro pinnatifida "grows a lot quicker than the Bolbitus in my tank" but looks very similar to Bolbitus.

there are also quite a few different anubias in there, most of them are shaded by other plants as they need bugger all light,

too much light and they get covered in algae because of there slow growth.

other plants in there is subwassertang "doesnt require much light at all to grow well"

also put some Pellia "Monosolenium Tenerum" covering the moon rocks at the bottom front, just starting to grow after 5-6mths or so, but very slow.

and also have some Peacock moss in there which is growing very slow along with some US Fissidens.

there is also a tri colour lotus in there but it struggles under the low light...

[h=3][/h]

• 1 month later...