Hello all!

septhen

Hey all,

Coming over from AL into this forum. All I own in regards to shrimp are about 20-30 RCS (in a holding tank), but I want to go further into exotic shrimp and keep some more varieties (especially tiger shrimp! They're so cool!).

And a question: can I keep Celestial Pearl Danios with shrimp (namely baby shrimp)?

Thanks! Stephen. :)

welcome to SKF septhen, the CPD are ok with my cherry shrimp and Darwin Algae Shrimp, but have not tested them yet with CRS. it would depend a lot on the tank and how much cover there is in the way of plants etc. if it's a serious breeding tank then i would limit keeping fish other than otto's maybe for keeping the tank clean, but in a community tank they should be fine (or even a CPD rank with shrimp to help cleanup)

Hi Stephen!

Hope you like it here :D It's definitely the place to be to learn more about keeping different types of shrimp :D Would love to see some photos of your RCS too!

I'm afraid I've never kept any sort of Danios, but I keep a Betta with my shrimp and he doesn't seem to bother them at all. He can't even be bothered to try and catch the babies! I imagine Danios would be okay as long as the shrimps have plenty of places to hide :D

Hi Stephen!Hope you like it here :D It's definitely the place to be to learn more about keeping different types of shrimp :D Would love to see some photos of your RCS too!I'm afraid I've never kept any sort of Danios' date=' but I keep a Betta with my shrimp and he doesn't seem to bother them at all. He can't even be bothered to try and catch the babies! I imagine Danios would be okay as long as the shrimps have plenty of places to hide :D[/quote']You keep a BETTA with your shrimp? Oh my goodness, my betta is an RCS assassinator and seems to enjoy his sashimi very, very fresh. And okay, photos on the way!Stephen.OH MY GOD YOU HAVE CPDs! Very cool, how difficult are they to keep and to breed, and do i need to feed them live foods?Yeah, I was wanting to use the shrimp for cleanup. I doubt they'd eat CPD fry? The tank will be very well planted, I can assure you of that. :)Thanks so much! Stephen. :)P.S. to all the others I haven't quoted, thanks for the welcomes!

Alright, some photos of my RCSs. They're currently in a substrate-less holding tank while the ADA substrate in my nano cycles:

I very much want to selectively breed the one to the left of the berried female (ironic, right? :P )

IMAG1490.jpgIMAG1488.jpg

Nesting on some java moss, as shrimp do:

IMAG1486.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them!

Thanks, Stephen.

welcome to SKF Stephen (i'm new too)

love your RCS and that reminds me how i started this hobby with 10+ RCS

I think that's how many start out, what are you keeping now? :)

And welcome to you too *removes top hat humbly* :P

Stephen

currently keeping CRS, DAE and RNS in a UGF nano and last night setup another tank with UGF

i guess i'm in love with UGF :o

will start my first ever new tank journal shortly

You keep a BETTA with your shrimp? Oh my goodness' date=' my betta is an RCS assassinator and seems to enjoy his sashimi very, very fresh. [/quote']

Haha, nice xD

Your RCS are really lovely! Very nice red colouration. I bet you'll get some even more lovely coloured babies if you do selectively breed those two :P I've just started attempting to selectively breed a couple of mine - it's very exciting :D

currently keeping CRS' date=' DAE and RNS in a UGF nano and last night setup another tank with UGFi guess i'm in love with UGF :owill start my first ever new tank journal shortly[/quote']UGF = undergravel filter? how's that treating you? i thought shrimp-obsessed people preferred sponge filters :Soh yeah, DAE, I have some of those too! :)Thanks Jess,How do I go about selectively breeding them? Do I just separate a pair into a secluded area and wait for them to do 'the birds and the bees'?I think I found a yellow RCS male a couple days ago, I'd like to breed him. Well, either he was yellow or he likes drinking fish pee. :|Stephen

Yeah, pretty much! :D I just bought a mesh breeder-box thing from my local LFS (AquaOne, about 25cm long, $8), stuck it inside the tank, and put the shrimps in there that I want to breed. Now it's up to them to do their stuff! Not entirely sure how well it will work but I don't have a spare tank at the moment so it was my only option. They seem happy enough in there so you never know ;D

It will be pretty exciting if you have a yellowy Cherry! And hopefully he's naturally yellow, hehe :P

UGF = undergravel filter? how's that treating you? i thought shrimp-obsessed people preferred sponge filters :S

oh yeah' date=' DAE, I have some of those too! :)

[/quote']

yes, UGF is undergravel filter. i started with sponge filter as most ppl do and then moved on to canister filter+sponge filter and now with UGF