Water Temp Extremes

Shrimp Aqua

Well Guys we have just had a very hot day here up around 42+deg, it is now 6.30pm and tank temp is still 35.6, so far no deaths. I have been using frozen water bottles in my two cherry tanks but seems not to drop temp by much. Can the effects of this extreme not show up till a later time?

Squiggle, how did you fare with this heat? you are not too far from me hope all is well.

OMG...must have been extremely hot....ensure you have good water agitation/movement on the surface.

Get your temp down ASAP, but also gradually. I'd also do a 10% WC to keep conditions fresh etc...

Yeah it was a bit of a stinker wasn't it, I am lucky enough to have an air conditioned room that my shrimp are in so I didn't have any problems, 22deg all day. :encouragement:

I wasn't this lucky last year though & had a few hot days back then, I didn't experience any long term effects on the shrimp after the initial heat cooled off though. :D

41.8deg on the back deck in the shade at 2:30, a friend in the Gap was at 43.6deg.

Most of my tanks under the house are pretty protected from heat, scape tank was 33deg. I used freezer blocks on another which sat around 30, and the most effective was the nano cooling fan that stayed around 28deg. Outside was like walking into an oven!

OMG! 41.8! That's horrible!

But we had about 15 degrees down here all day...not much better, just the other extreme.

• HOF Member

We had several 40 + days over the last few weeks and despite airconditioning, ceiling fans and a few tank fans most of my tanks sat at 25/26 so I used the blue ice bricks to help cool them. We have evaporative airconditioning that doesn't cope well in high heat or high humidity. It's a worry and I hope I can afford either a couple of chillers before next summer or a refrigerated aircon in the shrimp room.

It Hit 44 degrees here in Beenleigh / Eagleby. Hottest day I can remember. A few of my outdoor plants didn't fair so well but my tanks in my new air-conditioned shrimp room stayed at 22!

wow that hot. may be help put desk fan or regular standing fan all day, usually it help. but if the shrimp tank are small you can buy small hanging fan. it definately work for my shrimp tank when summer hit 40 degree

Yes definitely a hot one. Had a fan running all day on the tanks and came home just after midday to find the shrimp room (aka garage) sitting at 32 degrees and one crs dead in a nano. Anyway left the door slightly ajar so some coolness from the air conditioning could get in and room temp reduced to 28. Unfortunately the nano tanks heat up quickly but the heat takes ages to dissipate. Yep looking forward to cooler days.

Well Guys we have just had a very hot day here up around 42+deg' date=' it is now 6.30pm and tank temp is still 35.6, so far no deaths. I have been using frozen water bottles in my two cherry tanks but seems not to drop temp by much. Can the effects of this extreme not show up till a later time?

Squiggle, how did you fare with this heat? you are not too far from me hope all is well.[/quote']

I'm impressed no deaths at 35.6c

I've been getting slightly worried at 28c with my cherry tank but 35.6 is CRAZZZZZZYYYY

Well this is our second day of extreme heat probably not as bad as yesterday. Temp actually got to 45deg yesterday and still no losses, tank temp today has been hovering around 32deg so hopefully it will cool off tomorrow. Now 4pm and 31.5deg

I lost 1 cbs :( better than I feared, worse than I hoped

I adjusted the bleeder valve on my air system so the air stones were bubbling faster after finding the dead shrimp on Saturday and thankfully all seems good. cool change predicted from tomorrow WO HOO!!

Hi all seems this hot weather is disasterous for all of us shrimpers, luckily i have a chiller on my CRS tank so no problems there, still very concerned about my cherry tanks though, so far so good only 30deg in my tanks!!!! today. Hope everyones collections are fairing well with no serious losses.