Tibee or Cherry

ineke

• HOF Member

Some time ago I put up a picture of a young Red Striped shrimp that I thought was a Tibee- it would have been either Tibee x Tibee or Tibee x CRS. Most of you thought it was just a wild striped Cherry. I have found it again in my community tank (I will try and catch it out and take a photo as the tank is too deep to show up details) and it really still looks like a Tibee . What I would like to know is - is there any way of telling what it is or is the only way to put it with a female Tibee and a female Cherry. Are there any discerning features that would tell me it is a Tibee? It isn't that important but I'm just curious. Wish me luck in catching it- I think I will need to take the plants out to catch it but the up side is I can tidy the tank again- always look on the bright side :D

Great question ineke, and a difficult answer. The rostrum is usually used as the identifying attributes, together with other attributes like the carapace....etc, but I've personally found difficulty in their identification especially at a juvi age.

I'm constantly assessing them, and have allowed them to reach maturity before making judgement to be sure. Biggest issue is that our minds can persuade the results....lol...

• HOF Member

Thanks BB I have to agree with the mind games:D I caught him out and another one very similar and when I looked with an open mind I noticed that side on he has the colouring of a poor quality Red Cherry and think that he is a cherry. What had me convinced originally was the white markings on his back similar to a Tibee. I will leave him in the community tank for a bit longer it is after all my cull tank so he can't do much damage. My female Tibee has berried up 3 times and has seemed to carry the eggs full term but I haven't seen any babies, the oldest must be at least 3 months now so maybe they died or they were infertile eggs or because the tank is an Aqua 980 they just have heaps of hiding places right at the back where I can't see them. When my new tanks have cycled I might try and catch the Tibees and see if they will breed for me then.