'Serious' CBS tank

fishmosy

In the process of setting up a new tank. This time I've decided to go the whole hog. Soil, water conditioner, high grade shrimp.

The tank is an Xanta 40 by Aquamanta. I chose this tank as I got it on store credit from my LFS, it looks similar to the Fluval Edge but has a full sized lid.

P1060552_zpsca5c78ea.jpg

I'm writing a review for this tank too which can be found here:

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5997-Aquarium-Xanti-40-by-Aquamanta?p=77354#post77354

Unpacked and ready to be moved into position.

P1060583_zpscc758537.jpg

Got some goodies from Dean.

Benibachi Soil and Bee Shrimp water conditioner. I'm using RO water that I get from my LFS as I get it on store credit.

P1000025_zps475bbb19.jpg

Dean also threw in a planaria trap, and I have a mini oxydator which Dean threw in with a previous order. I finally have a tank to use it in.

So moved the tank to the bench and starting filling it up.

P1000037_zpsa2a1e66b.jpg

P1000042_zps0f91c1bb.jpg

Filled and added the benibachi salts. P1000045_zps19667714.jpg

Spot on pH, can't argue with that!

P1000043_zpsf29e2703.jpg

Unfortunately the break midway in the filling process left a nasty ring of scum.

P1000046_zps4cfcd632.jpg

Luckily I remembered I had a nifty algae magnet hanging around from a failed aquascaping set-up. (By failed, mean tank split and dumped >100L onto floor)

P1000047_zpsfda3fca5.jpg

Cleaned in a jiffy, love this magnet.

P1000050_zps40f1fff5.jpg

So the tank was sitting for a few days.

Decided to collect some shrimp and snails from my fish/shrimp room to slowly move in.

Water is super dirty as the sponge filter released all its gunk during the move.

Also added a sponge to the main tank to help along the cycling.

P1000165_zpsbe04dda9.jpg

Added some rocks and plants. The red rocks are from Barney Springs (love that red colouration) with Subwassertang (naturally found attached). The java fern is my trident whilst the other plants are Bucephalandra, namely Kapit 4, Browny Blue and Kedagang (left to right). Also added one Indian almond leaf to let it rot a bit before the shrimp and snails go in and the oxydator. I've since moved the oxydator to the other corner of the tank as that is where the outflow from the filter is.

P1000176_zps0abd67ca.jpg

P1000178_zpsf039f6c2.jpg

Forgot to mention too, I added a couple of balls to the filter and a spoonful of bee shrimp powder to kick things along. Does this extra stuff matter? I don't know but since I have them, I'm going to use them. (Most have been collected as freebies from Dean and others here at SKF, waiting for the tank/time they could be used).

P1000172_zps140c5c90.jpg

So the first animals have gone into the tank.

Melanoides sp. snails.

P1000216_zpsa5c17127.jpg

Probably should have acclimated them as three of the four have stayed in their shells, but if past experience is anything to go by they should stop sulking soon.

Here is the one that is out and about.

Melanoidessp2_zps8446fbb2.jpg

Melanoidessp1_zps05a1c7d8.jpg

I did acclimate my 'canary' shrimp.

P1000218_zps07c81afd.jpg

She? is still settling in so the colour isn't great.

P1000237_zps509fca54.jpg

P1000253_zpsf1636ca8.jpg

P1000255_zpsf1c0aa68.jpg

P1000256_zps22a1a1f2.jpg

P1000260_zps726bae37.jpg

That is a sweet looking tank.

Like the train in the back ground mate??

Are you still going to make the trip up?

Bob

As an Edge owner, i love that this tank has a full sized lid- will make your life soo much easier!

Have you decided how to cover the intake to prevent shrimplets going into the filter? if you want i have some fine SS mesh i can send you. Mine is just clipped on with some fancy paper clips.

Thanks for the offer Wraithie but the filter system seems like it will be able to keep all but the tiniest shrimp out, and as these will have to work their way through all the sponges and filter media to get to the pump, I'm taking a gamble that it will be ok.

My review is a work in progress but I will put up pics showing how it works and why the shrimp shouldn't get into it.

Great new project!! Can't wait to see it up and running! The fun stage has begun!

Looks quite similar to the Aquaone Xpression I have although bigger and with a nicer base. Hope it goes well!

Ooooh an oxydator! I've seen these online but I've never actually read into them much, how do you find it? Or will this be your first time using one?

Will be the first time using one. Think it should work well. I've already noticed a decrease in the amount of algae on the trident fern.

So time to update this thread. Had a bit of trouble maintaining stable water parameters. I noticed the snails were not coming out of their shells. The canary CBS was fine. This went on for a couple of days before I really investigated it. I measured pH and it was 4.3. Wow, no wonder the poor snails didn't want to come out. I figured the Benibachi soil was probably too deep for the tank so I took out about 60%, leaving a good 2-4cm of soil. I've combined this with small water changes to bring the pH slowly back up to 5.5 with an aim of a stable 6.5.

Other than a moult after the soil was removed, the CBS is doing well.

P1000313_zps89bbc97c.jpgP1000317_zps3af0ac1b.jpg

I moved the snails into my display cichlid tank. Note how the end of the shells have been eaten away. They weren't like that when I first added them to the shrimp tank!

P1000332_zpsf7082383.jpg

Some other pics of my Buce 'Kedagang'. The pearlescent white spots are starting to return now its been submerged. As usual, pics don't show the true beauty of these plants.

P1000278_zps9f5d15d6.jpgP1000281_zps02fa8829.jpg

Looking very cool dude, looks like this snails copped a wallop from the low ph. Buce's are coming along very well too. :victorious:

• 2 weeks later...

Huge thanks to Squiggle for the CBS and to Daydream for the CBS and yellow cherry trio I received at the BBQ in QLD last weekend. These were are added to the tank on my return Sunday night, and although I'm having trouble adjusting my pH up (its still sitting between 5.5 and 5.2) despite removing most of the benibachi soil, and doing 10% water changes every few days, they have coloured up really nicely.

Also added a glass petri dish to the tank to act as a feeding station.

P1000418_zps0011f47f.jpgP1000413_zpse4d07844.jpg

Background is the planaria trap in use, only a couple of planaria appeared which is good news

P1000411_zps20de0884.jpgP1000407_zps13e1b591.jpgP1000391_zps9c030bce.jpgP1000389_zps402180b7.jpgP1000377_zpse0db96ee.jpgP1000362_zps10055a5b.jpgP1000348_zps19f3032a.jpg

And one more shot of the Kedagang

P1000357_zps8ef4cacc.jpg

I'm mightily impressed with how the plants are going in this tank. All the buces have new leaves, and the trident is going great guns.

• 3 months later...

Update to this tank.

The tank is still going great guns, plants are growing like crazy considering no CO2 addition.

Made three changes besides the addition of plants and shrimp.

- Added some SS mesh to the overflow just for extra security.

- Changed the outflow of the sponge to horizontal to increase water movement.

- Removed an elbow from the outflow of the pump to increase water movement.

P1000913_zps1a129f73.jpg

P1000920_zps6b3150f7.jpg

Added some red cherries from my choc cherries (parents). These are the best red colour, better than any standard red cherry.

P1000925_zpsbc865c2b.jpg

P1000958_zpsb2d1af8d.jpg

P1000961_zps33c0a9dc.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, looks fantastic,..that trident looks awesome ! Great work, thanks for the update.

Thanks guys, can't wait till the mosses on the tiles grow in.

Tanks looking brilliant! Love the intense colour of the red Cherries!

• 3 weeks later...

Some more shots of the shrimp.

post-51-0-52753600-1401346311_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-48432600-1401346330_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-18261600-1401346351_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-61892700-1401346372_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-09345300-1401346399_thumb.jpg

Must be doing something right, the CRS have bred.

post-51-0-81256400-1401346420_thumb.jpg