Fixing a 3ft tank & making it a sump filter

Squiggle

Is there a "approved/agreed" specification of glass thickness required per volume or size of tank, and braces if required etc ?

There is no government approved standard/specification for glass thickness in tank building, but because the taller the tank the more pressure, there is an accepted minimum thickness used in the industry. :victorious:

Ok, update time! After letting the silicone dry for a few days & the fact that my brain just wouldn't work yesterday, I started to put the last two dividers in today. These two will have the water flow over the top of them, so I started by laying a bead of silicone across the bottom of the tank & then put the divider in.

image_zpsff9c5243.jpg

Then I smoothed the silicone on each side of the bottom, after that I used masking tape on one side to hold the divider in the correct position while I filled the gap on the other side with silicone & scrapped the excess of, same as the other dividers.

image_zps3905b4e1.jpg

After doing the same thing to the last divider I let the silicone cure for a couple of hours, then I remover the masking tape off the other side & siliconed that side, removing the excess with the scrapper as well.

I also started to put the supports for the eggcrate in the bottom of the middle section, I ran a bead of silicone along the bottom of the support glass, placed it in the bottom & smoothed out the silicone.

image_zps156a4ab8.jpg

This is the supports finished.

image_zpsd7c71e4a.jpg

Here's the finished sump, all I have to do is put the lid supports back on & then let the silicone dry.

image_zpsd9b9790b.jpg

image_zpsf59eb011.jpg

Final update, Steph's new sump is finished!! :victorious:

I've put the lid supports back on, this has to be done with the tank on it's side so gravity doesn't change the angle & they stay flat. I also put in some gutter guard at the bottom of the first section so the K1 doesn't get sucked through to the second section, I secured it with a piece of glass on each end of the mesh. :encouragement:

image_zps704bde82.jpg

This is a pic of my sump which is configured the same way so you can see how the sections are used. First section has K1, second section has mechanical & biological media & the second third section has the return pump. :D

image_zps8c43b0b3.jpg

Last of all, as promised, here is a pic of the tools of the trade. :)

image_zpsdbf32181.jpg

Hi mate, that's brilliant, good detail to follow. Can I ask how many tanks or ltrs would the sump be suitable for.

It depends on the bioload & media you use in the sump but generally it's three times the volume of the sump, as this is a 150L sump it will do about 450L, buuuuuut, if it's filled with media like, for example, about 10L of C1(same as K1 but with more surface area), about 4L of Marine Pure balls & various sponge & wool media it could probably quite easily handle 600-700L. :victorious:

I can't wait until I have an excuse to build a sump :D I'm always impressed with the finished product...

Good Work Squigglesss

Thanks dude, I have to agree, the finished product definitely make the work worthwhile. :victorious:

• 4 weeks later...

Squiggs, Thank you so much for this step by step thread!! I am getting close to making up a sump and this has spelled it out so even a numbskull like me can follow!! You are da man!!

• 1 month later...

Hey Squiggs, how long would you recommend leaving the sump to cure before water testing??

Got busy this week and have made a (dodgy) version of this sump...

Not the prettiest silicon job, oops.

Definitely dude' date=' I will go through putting in the dividers in great detail to make it very easy to follow & there's already a DIY thread posted by Dean about drilling holes in glass, but if the guy across the road does glass work then maybe he can do them for you instead of you having to buy the tools if you're only going to use then once. :encouragement:[/quote']

Could someone post a link, I've been searching but don't know what the thread title is.

I don't know if I am game enough to try it myself, (and forget about asking hubby), but maybe, just maybe.

Hey Jamie, the general rule for silicone reliant on the thickness of the silicone, the first 2mm will dry in the first 24 hrs & then 1mm deeper for every 24hrs after that. So 3mm thick will take 48hrs & 5mm thick will take 4days. Also, the thickness is measured at it's thickest point. I hope that clears it up for you. :encouragement:

Also, here is the link for drilling holes in glass. :D

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/2280-BossAquaria-How-to-drill-holes-in-your-aquarium-101

Hey Jamie' date=' the general rule for silicone reliant on the thickness of the silicone, the first 2mm will dry in the first 24 hrs & then 1mm deeper for every 24hrs after that. So 3mm thick will take 48hrs & 5mm thick will take 4days. Also, the thickness is measured at it's thickest point. I hope that clears it up for you. :encouragement:

Also, here is the link for drilling holes in glass. :D

[url']http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/2280-BossAquaria-How-to-drill-holes-in-your-aquarium-101

Thanks mate, may take a few days then. No the neatest work and a bit thicker for extra surety.

Looking forward to giving it a test run but will be patient.