Recommended Test kits?

BristledOne

Hi Everyone,

As I'm digging through page after page of information I'm finding that not all test kits are made equal, some much easier to use than others and some with more accurate readings at the low end (eg the Salifert Nitrate kit)

What I was wondering is for the people who have had a chance to use their kits for a while and/or those that have used multiple kits what would you consider to be your recommended list of kits?

Currently I have an API freshwater kit, pretty happy with its ease of use even though the nitrate reading cant do anything between 0-5ppm but I'm well aware the next lot of kits I require would be a GH and a Ca test kit but I'm unsure which brand would be best. Tempted to just get API kits as they're stocked locally otherwise I hear the Salifert kits are pretty much always good as it's all they do.

Thoughts or opinions? :)

The API GH/KH test kits are very easy & pretty accurate. The Salifert Ca test is very good & the API one is ok but it's a good idea to increase the size of the test vial so you can get a better reading. :encouragement:

Considering $, availability and common use by many members, the API test kit is pretty good and reliable. +1 on squiggs comments.

Awesome, cheers guys :) I dont think I've seen a Salifert kit locally before so I might make some calls and if I cant the Ca kit locally might order it online, not sure but I think there might be an API kit for GH/KH in the house somewhere as I found the empty box last night...

• 1 month later...
The API GH/KH test kits are very easy & pretty accurate. The Salifert Ca test is very good & the API one is ok but it's a good idea to increase the size of the test vial so you can get a better reading. :encouragement:

I use the API kit and find it to be good for the price.

What do you mean by increasing the size of the vial? Using a different bigger vial?

Would this mean using more drops of the various chemicals when testing?

Scuse my noobishness, I've never heard of the bigger vial thing before.

Just increase the water sample to 20ml & use the same drops, you will reduce the results to 5ppm per drop so you can get a more accurate reading. You ideally want your tank to have about 25ppm of Ca & that's a lot easier to check with the 20ml test size. :encouragement:

Don't worry dude, we don't believe in dumb nood questions. :D

• Like 1