Rainwater- bacteria

keego

I've got access to rainwater, but have concerns for the potential of bacteria to be present. Hoping for advice on either testing, water treatments or solutions.

Thanks in advance,

I've got access to rainwater' date=' but have concerns for the potential of bacteria to be present. Hoping for advice on either testing, water treatments or solutions.

Thanks in advance,[/quote']

If it's a small amount you can boil and cool it before use.

Otherwise UV light treatment is the best way of treating large amounts of rainwater.

Jayc, thanks, I've got 18,000lt water tanks currently being used for gardens only. I was considering using it for my 10 x 3ft tanks running internal sponge filters, but concerned with bacteria. Considering my options, could hook up a UV sterilize to a storage drum / container ready for WC/top ups. Or buy an RO unit. As both are new to me, looking for best long term solution, given my situation.

don't bother with rainwater

get a 3 stage ro di unit on ebay for $100

been using the unit for half a year now, di resin brings tds to 0 everytime, needed to change resin every 3 months

RO water is a safer and more reliable in the long term. Collection of rain water in tanks, and the period of storage etc, are open to contamination, and it don't believe worth the risk.