moving my TB's

ineke

• HOF Member

I am going to move my TB's and Mischling's to the new room but to be safe I will use the substrate and water plus filters from their old tank plus a bit of fresh RO water but not much. I'm worried about an ammonia spike from the Benibachi substrate - will this be a problem? I can house the shrimp in a tank with just their own water and a filter until the water is safe but not having moved like this before I just wonder if there could be a spike and time frame? I am moving them from an oversize 30" to the new 24" tanks and taking out any male Mischlings I can find and put them into a separate tank . Any thought's on this are welcome:encouragement:

Sounds like you're on the right track, I would do the move & run the new tank while testing for any spike & if there is then just monitor it till the tank is safe. I would keep the shrimp in another holding tank till you are sure the new tank is safe. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Jay I thought that might be best. I will just fill a tank with their water etc without any substrate and put plants etc from their tank in with them. It's so tempting to do things quickly but in the long run this will be the safest bet. I have a couple of tanks cycling with Beni in them but thought it would be less stressful if they had all their own things in their new tank.

• HOF Member

LOL that's me to a T. I should be grateful with all I have but I want it now! I have two rooms of half done tanks and I just want and want and want ;)

LOL that's me to a T. I should be grateful with all I have but I want it now! I have two rooms of half done tanks and I just want and want and want ;)

Me too! :congratulatory:

Lol, obviously impatience and MTS are developed together.... I had shrimps in my tanks after 2 days....new benibachi substrate, aged filter, and after 2 x 50% WC in 48 hours, the shrimps were in :-) .... Wouldn't advise it unless you're fully comfortable with WP, and know what t watch out for....adding a bag of purigen is a great insurance policy.

• HOF Member

Thanks BB.

I am using a lot of the substrate from my old tanks as it is all fairly new and I am cycling the tanks again to be safe but now at the stage I have 4 lots of shrimp to move but no tanks ready so it's all stalled. I might have to just put them into some old tanks with no substrate so I can use their substrate to to start up the new tanks. " SIGH" patience I haven't got "SIGH" never mind I was busy baking today so wasn't too bad and I have put some kamikaze shrimp into the second tank today. So Thursday hopefully I can move another lot of shrimp , put the TB's and Mischlings into a substrate free tank and that will give me a heap of substrate to play with. :)