Hot hot hot

ineke

• HOF Member

Phew Adelaide hit 43 + today and even with the air conditioner and ceiling fan my Crystal and TB tanks reached 26 while I was out. Eshrimp gave me a small 12 volt fan to try and that brought 1 tank down 1 degree and kept it there and the good old blue ice blocks kept the other tank down 1 degree. What I would like to know is if the heat affects the shrimp do they show stress straight away or is that one of those horrible 1 shrimp dieing every day type things. At the moment they all seem happy enough foraging around and I can't see any change in behaviour at all. I have a heap of fans that Alan will set up for me now he has seen how to do it so the two main tanks will run four fans over the surface once that's done. I know I need a chiller - well at least two actually - but I've just about run out of spending money now for a few months as the shrimp room has well and truly eaten into my little stash.

Another hot one tomorrow but a cool change in the afternoon will be a welcome release from the heat.

I'm not sure but I think they can stand heat decently well if they have enough oxygen. My fish tank sits at 27 most of the time and there are a couple of S grade crystal red shrimp living quite happily in there (not sure how they got there). The tank has a pretty powerful airstone and reasonable water movement from the canister filter though. I don't think a short while at 26 will kill them.

hi ineke i just using small fan for my nano cube shrimp tank and it can bring down 3-5 degree when about 40 degree temp.

• HOF Member

I had my Crystals through some hot weather at the beginning of the year and they seemed OK and that was without the fan but I guess I'm a bit more worried about the TB's really . They seem fine but I just wandered if there might be a delayed response . I guess I will have to wait and see how they go and get the fans sorted quickly before the next lot of hot days. Luckily the tanks are pretty deep 1 is 100 litres and the other is 200 litres so the water takes longer to heat up.

I'm fairly sure they usually die during or soon after the heat, once you get the temp back down they should recover pretty quickly, I wouldn't want to let it happen too often though. :victorious:

• HOF Member

No it was because I went out normally I keep an eye on the temp . Really have to save for that chiller next.:dejection:

• HOF Member
Bunnings are selling sweet $12 fans.. they go hard!! Just an idea ;)

I already have some computer fans that are the ideal size just need to get them linked and the power source sorted thanks

The heat was oppressive today, I hope the shrimp do okay Ineke!! If the tanks are deep then the water temp at base could be less too!

• HOF Member

Thanks Newbreed I didn't think about that I might put my thermometers down low tomorrow and see what the temp is closer to the substrate. Those few free shrimp I was given last Xmas are turning out to be very expensive :D

I had to resort to buying two chillers (ouch!!) as I couldn't bear the stress of worrying every hot summers day!!

I still double check temps anyway, now paranoid chillers may fail!! Good to always have the back up plans in place!

Sure all will be well!! :)

• HOF Member

I will need two before next summer but I'm afraid I can't afford one before then. I'm transferring the TB's to a smaller tank when the summer is over so will definitely need a chiller for them.

My sons tank avg's 26-30 degrees in the peak of summer..... Just need to keep the water fresh and clean...additional WC's etc....will help them pull through. A well oxygenated tank is important.

Does your A/C unit have a climate control feature? If it does you could set the temp & it would adjust itself when you are out. :victorious:

My room stays at 22-23deg all year round. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I have added airstones plus each tank has extra sponge filters so there is plenty of surface movement and I do weekly water changes but when it's hot I either top up more often or do an extra change.

. Squiggs the air conditioner is an evaporative system so doesn't get as cold as refrigerated systems. When we go away I will set it up to come on by itself but it rarely brings the room temperature below 25 degrees.