Start of shrimp room

ineke

That pretty sad news.

I hope your 2015 is a lot better.

perhaps it was something to do with the substrate bacteria not being established properly? you said you put them back in after a week or so, I thought with active substrates you would basically need to recycle the Tank?

• HOF Member

With Benibaci you can put the shrimp back within a few days. Also don't forget all the bacteria in the tank was put straight back in. Plants water filters were kept in a bucket , filters still running, the glass didn't even have time to dry out. I siphon my substrate out use a thick hose , then take out the rest of the water , put the new substrate and all water plants etc straight back in then top up with fresh RO water. I have been assured that this substrate would be fine doing that by someone who has used it for several years. I also tested the water to make sure there was no ammonia, no nitrites but some nitrates. We have gone round and round trying to figure it out. With Benibaci I have even siphoned half the substrate out and put new Benibaci in with the shrimp still in there with no losses - not a standard practice but it works when you need to do it. I wish I could send some back to the manufacturer to have it tested but I only have a small amount left that wasn't used the rest is either still in the tanks or bagged up so not in pristine condition. It is just strange that it happened to 10 x 24 " tanks all within a short time. I will probably never know but will never do all my tanks at the same time again.

It's not ADA buck your safe.

Hummm well I hope I have better luck when I resoil my little rack. But you should defs post some pics for us to ogle :D

• HOF Member

The tanks have just been trimmed and also because of the mirror backs it's a bit hard to get a front view without seeing the camera and me in the back ground. They aren't landscaped for looks just for breeding and seeing the shrimp.

tank1_zps23b1ryag.jpg

tank2_zpshwqcels2.jpg

tank3_zps9juob4ko.jpg

tank4_zps4jttijlt.jpg

tank5_zpsqx219zar.jpg

tank6_zpsihgopukx.jpg

tank7_zpsgxbemi6b.jpg

tank8_zpsnbjzljhq.jpg

tank9_zpsxriwpk9a.jpg

/tank10_zpsiromzjal.jpg

CRStank_zpsy4eggpku.jpg

CRSbabies_zpsjoz8pnrj.jpg

Edited by ineke
  • Like 2

• HOF Member

The last 2 are my CRS tank and tank number 10  the tree is still being weighed down and is cycling waiting for the TB's when the weather cools- I put the benibaci soil back in that one -not taking any chances :thumbsu:

• Like 1

• HOF Member

The white is Boss Aquaria Snow the babies love it- well the biofilm that grows on it- I just leave it in the tank all the time.

ah ok thanks! looked unusual to see so many molts in one place and I thought it would be a god awful amount of food for a shrimp tank hehe. im not familiar at all with shrimp balls, minerals miscellaneous paraphernalia yet. getting my feet wet with cherry shrimp first and hoping to try something new later in the year :-)

• HOF Member

The snow is a soy bean product that comes in a pellet then swells up really big and fliffy. It's not a food as such but lots of micro-organisms grow on it and the shrimp graze on it. They do eat the snow as well but it's not a complete food. The great thing about snow and barley pelletts is they can be left in the tank without causing any problems. The shrimp love it and it's especially great if you go on holidays and don't trust anyone to feed your shrimp- throw a few of these in and they are set for a week or 2!

hey that sounds really good to be able to feed and go travelling! will put that in the memorybank for sure.

Awesome pics. Really like the one with all the shrimplets!

Although it Makes me jealous lol

• Like 1

• HOF Member

The tank with the shrimplets has waaaay more in it they were just what was in one corner! They didn't breed for sometime then exploded and haven't stopped. Probably because they aren't in my shrimp room so I don't disturb them as much!

• HOF Member

Revolutionhope I left my shrimp for 7 weeks with someone coming once a week to top up the water, pop a bit of food in which I left in those plastic medication doses containers ( Webster packs) then I had frozen mulberry leaves that my daughter in law put in if the ones in the tank were eaten and I put snow and barley pellets in the tanks. I think they could have gone maybe 2 weeks before needing food and now if we go away for 2 weeks or less I don't even bother to get them checked I just leave the snow and mulberry leaves in the tanks- we travel a lot.

• Like 1

They look great! I actually really like the look of shrimp tanks that are just breeding tanks, something about the minimalist lay out of breeding tanks just looks cool :)

• Like 1

• HOF Member

They were full of plants and lots of moss but I took them all out and put them in the big CRS tank. I just couldn't see my shrimp because of all the plants so I trimmed the moss and left the tanks almost bare. I have Aqua one plant gro LED's and the plants grew very very quickly. I'm getting used to the bare look and the shrimp still have moss and hiding places so we are all happy!

• HOF Member

Thought that now i'm im the photo taking mood I would show just a few inhabitants of the tanks.

CBS and some Mischling babies

IMG_20150218_190729_zpsiqt3azku.jpg

Blue F2 Tibee and a baby

IMG_20150218_190638_zpstlzbozar.jpg

CRS Mischling

IMG_20150218_190545_zpsdukmtpin.jpg

Mischling babies

IMG_20150218_190801_zpsnwnjjfjc.jpg

Mischling in the snow

IMG_20150218_190741_zps8s8qdvvk.jpg

• Like 2

: SLOBBER :  wow!

I have 6 berried GB's and one berried CRS I am hoping to see something similar in a couple of weeks fingers crossed!

• HOF Member

It seems like once they start there is no stopping them. I've taken all the white/ golden babies out to put in my white Mischling tank. There are at 25 and 3 of those are Blue Bolt TBMM from my F8 Mischling to F8 Mischling cross. They are siblings but as I don't have a TB at the moment I thought I would see what I got - lucky is what I got they are quite blue on the head already and pale blue bodies. Lots of other little Panda TBMM in the Mischling tank as well from F 8 to F8.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • HOF Member

Another year has passed and I haven't updated this thread in that time. I'm not sure why a lot of the pictures are missing but I think it has something to do with the forum upgrade so I will put a few new ones up today.

lots has happened over the last 12 months with my Taitibees giving me some great shrimp. I have traded and given away a lot of them and kept the babies for this year's projects. A slight change in direction now. 

image.thumb.jpg.ed61328344af58f9e107d85bimage.thumb.jpg.604d38eb5f363cbaa52b9e55image.thumb.jpg.cf4089075a413076b0154724image.thumb.jpg.a60e7366ca101989fde6ce52image.thumb.jpg.a8357c60d0ee52881a09423b

image.thumb.jpg.1322f6dde7070efb7fc08677image.thumb.jpg.b7853c874acfece6fb2b3822image.thumb.jpg.c4e6fb9b136904c0925c526aimage.thumb.jpg.fb134e8d1aa389d4eb13c9a7image.thumb.jpg.2353fc1f467eb74930e40363image.thumb.jpg.847351ccf2c850b4e69af79f

Edited by ineke
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, ineke said:

Another year has passed and I haven't updated this thread in that time. I'm not sure why a lot of the pictures are missing but I think it has something to do with the forum upgrade so I will put a few new ones up today.

lots has happened over the last 12 months with my Taitibees giving me some great shrimp. I have traded and given away a lot of them and kept the babies for this year's projects. A slight change in direction now. 

image.thumb.jpg.ed61328344af58f9e107d85b

I have a shrimp very similar to this one....they look great.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I have unfortunately bred out the nice pattern in those top red girls and I'm now getting lots of the TB pattern/ Colours. Plus I'm getting lots of CBS/CRS patterns so I have purchased some Tigers from Disciple to reintroduce those genes in the hope I get more striped Taitibees. 

I have also purchased or swapped shrimp to get a Pinto colony, some Pure TB which will be kept separate from the Taitibee TB. so I'm hopeful that this year I will get a lot of new and interesting shrimp