Start of shrimp room

ineke

Looks awesome Ineke, everything looks very tidy & ergonomic, should work very well for you. :encouragement:

Mmmmmmm, cake! :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggs, it is very easy for me to work in the tanks but I still need a step to reach behind easily. At a push I can work without the step. Using a hose in the room to fill or top up tanks is great too, I would never have thought of having a system like this without Eshrimp he has thoroughly spoiled me .

Ineke, it looks amazing! I'm a bit jealous of the tidy setup and the room you have. Despite the practicality of rack setups, in a perfect world I would prefer something like yours, where you can comfortably sit and look at the tanks and also easily work on them.

More pics as it develops please.

• HOF Member

Thanks HeavyD I will update when a few more tanks are setup but until I get the LED's the lighting will be a lot of different lights I have at the moment- not pretty but it works.

Wow, absolutely awesome...only one suggestion, improvement....gotta get a chair with wheels, so that you can zoom and spin around the room :-) LOL..... Don't forget to dedicate one tank for Tigers :-)

• HOF Member
And to think it all started from a small cherry tank. MTS at it's best!
4 free cherries to put in one of my fish tanks now there's no fish just shrimp :)
Wow' date=' absolutely awesome...only one suggestion, improvement....gotta get a chair with wheels, so that you can zoom and spin around the room :-) LOL..... Don't forget to dedicate one tank for Tigers :-)[/quote']wheelie chair is in the computer room I plan to do a quick swap when Alan isn't looking ;)I only have a few Tibees they are the closest I can get to Tigers for a little while:congratulatory:

• HOF Member
looking awesome the dog ready to guard the shrimp :)
thank you yes the dog likes being in the shrimp room in the other room I was using there was a comfy sofa for him but no room in this one for it.
This is looking awesome! Love the progress Ineke thankyou for sharing with us!
Thank you hopefully there will be a few more shrimp in them over the next week just waiting for them to cycle . Shouldn't take too long as they have a lot of seeded filters and plants in them. Can't wait to fill them up. Then it will be the lights but they will have to wait a bit longer as I have no spending money left just now.

Ineke, your shrimp room is looking amazing!!

Good to see you've left plenty of room in the middle for all the happy dances that will no doubt be required in the near future.

You must be so pleased! :)

• HOF Member

Haha yes plenty of room. Think hubby is almost convinced to let me keep my older tanks just incase I need more tanks. I'm over the moon and very lucky also to have been given those 8 x 24" tanks it makes all the difference to have the tanks all looking the same. Just need to source some decent but cheap LED strip lights for a nice finishing touch. :)

• HOF Member

Just a quick update, 6 of the 10 tanks are now done and 3 have shrimp in already. 1 should have shrimp in later today just need to do another water test to be 100% sure it's ready. My next move will be the TB and Mischlings tanks and then I am going to rob my community tank of a few Crystals for the other 2 tanks that are still cycling. Lighting at the moment is still my old tank lights but will look to order some strip LEDS this week but they will take a while to get here. Then time to clean all the old tanks and decide what to do with them all:) Alan has already asked if I want to have benches made in that room too? See plant a seed and it grows:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Good day today - ceiling fan is installed and just about ready to put into action - the room is serviced by our airconditioner with a large duct in there which has been awesome over the last week of very hot weather here. The LED's arrived today and will be installed soon- poor A.L my shrimp room is talking up an awful lot of his time. I am also not happy with the placement of the electrical outlets so they will need to be moved. We put them above the tanks for safety and to make it easy for me to use but it looks like spaghetti junction once I plug heaters, pumps and lights in. A.L will lower them for me so they will be just below the tops of the tanks out of sight giving a cleaner look once the lights are replaced with the LED's which will hang from the ceiling. Then the next major thing is to put a backing on the tanks so I can't see the tubing etc through them. My ball cock has also arrived for the RO system and Eshrimp has sourced another item for the RO which will make sure it switches off when my tank is full. It is so good to fill my tanks via a hose:D

Then a rescape session because I am not happy with the way the tanks look then lots of pictures. It's all so close and yet so far but it is happening. I still have 5 tanks cycling but no hurry as I don't really have any shrimp to go into them yet. Might end up using some for selective breeding , a couple for plant grow out and one for culls but that might all change if the Crystals and Mischlings decide to breed for me. Happy days .

• HOF Member

I've been asked by a few members which LED's I have bought and where from. Unfortunately I can't mention here where i bought them as it is not a sponsor site . The lights themselves are waterproof car strip lights. They are waterproof flexible cool white DC 12volt that need a 12 volt transformer. They are 3528 SMD 600 LED's. I believe the 3528 is the intensity ( don't quote me on that :o), 600 is the number of LEDS over the 5 metre length- they are double the usual 300 that you see advertised and can be cut every third light. Once they are up I will know whether I can make do with 1 strip or if I need to go double strips. I believe they are 4000k light but I read so much info I might have got that wrong. I want them to see the shrimp not so much for plant growth as I use low tech plants - moss, java fern and Anubis - I do have a huge sword fern but that will just have to make do!

Hope you can understand all that .

• HOF Member

Well joy of joys today I did my first water change in my new setup. I still siphoned and used a bucket for emptying but it took me less than 1/2 hour to top up 11 tanks with the semi auto RO system. I could have done it much quicker but I didn't want to shock the shrimp too much!!

I will be using a hose to siphon the water out next time with no bucket carrying but I needed a bench mark to know how much water to take out. Eshrimp brought over the part I needed to allow the water to automatically fill up my reservoir so even filling that will be automatic which is a great thing because we all know how long it takes for RO water to be made.

Eshrimp you are my shrimp hero !

Brilliant work Eshrimp!! Sounds like shrimptopia!!

• HOF Member
Brilliant work Eshrimp!! Sounds like shrimptopia!!

Close enough for me:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • HOF Member

We managed to get one side of my room done with the LED lights- 1 row wasn't enough so decided to get 1 side done and buy some more lights when we get back from holidays. The lights have been hung 10cm from the top of the tanks and gives me enough light to see the shrimp without being over bright for the shrimp. At least they don't run off and hide every time the lights come on.%7Boption%7D[url=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/ineke24/media/2014-01-18191317_zps0262bfb5.jpg.html]2014-01-18191317_zps0262bfb5.jpg%7Boption%7D[url=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/ineke24/media/2014-01-18191428_zpsd46a6786.jpg.html]2014-01-18191428_zpsd46a6786.jpg%7Boption%7D[url=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/ineke24/media/2014-01-18191509_zpsce56e6f0.jpg.html]2014-01-18191509_zpsce56e6f0.jpg%7Boption%7D[url=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/ineke24/media/2014-01-18191233_zps2b79675a.jpg.html]2014-01-18191233_zps2b79675a.jpg%7Boption%7D[url=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/ineke24/media/2014-01-18191356_zpse30269ec.jpg.html]2014-01-18191356_zpse30269ec.jpg
The last picture is of the other side with ordinary fluro light.
I am still waiting to have some mirrors cut to size to be the backing to the tanks so you can't see all the tubing and wires through the tank. Unfortunately that will also have to wait until we come back .I have 5 tanks with shrimp in at the moment plus one plant growing tank. I moved the TB's and Mischlings because of the heat and I'm worried that if it gets hot again while we are away their tank may have gotten a bit too warm for them. They are safely settled into my big display tank and I will just select some nice female mischlings to go in with the male TB's once we are back -I'm going to be busy when we get back! One happy note I found a couple of nice Blues from chocolate in the display tank and since I lost my others I caught these "culls" out and put them back in the Chocolate tank. :D

Edited by ineke

• HOF Member

We used a metal bar to act as a heat sink ( think that's what it's called) the lights were siliconed onto it as the sticky backing they have is not very strong. We were going to use fishing line to hang them with but it stretches so impossible to get a straight line. We opted for white chain instead. It looks better than you can see on the picture and will look even better when the mirror gets installed.:)