Poor little fish

ineke

• HOF Member

I thought it about time I cleaned my canister so knowing that last time there was a shrimp in there I was very careful to check the water before I threw it out. Imagine my surprise when I found a squashed looking little fish. At first I thought it was a tadpole but she ( pretty sure it's a she) soon looked like a proper little fish - there were also six shrimp despite having a sponge pre filter on the intake). The fish looks a little like an Endler or similar type of live bearer but here's the thing there were no fish in this tank absolutely none so it must have hitch hiked on a plant. I did have a trio of Endlers in my other big tank but that was changed to a shrimp tank and emptied completely. I put it in one of my Rili tanks and then quickly thought it could decimate my babies over night so I've put it outside in my pond but forgot to take a picture. It is amazing that it had survived for such a long time in the canister as it must be over 10 weeks since I last cleaned the canister and its 3 months since I closed down the fish tank . I guess it may have come in as a tiny fry on some moss .

Oh no! Poor little thing!

Shame that you didn't take a picture or kept it in a tank until it was a bit bigger. :(

It would have been really interesting to find out what is was.

• HOF Member

I will try to catch it tomorrow the pond is only a little child's clam type plastic pool. I only use it for cull shrimp because I want to let them have a chance at life rather than someone taking them for fish food. Oops I just put a fish in there. It's OK Garney there aren't any babies in there that I know of. I have a cute little tank the fish could go into until I work out what it is. I still think it has to be a female Endler. Anyway I will see what I can do tomorrow and see if Alan will feed it this week as I won't be home I'm going house sitting big dogs, lots of shrimp, beautiful Discus and marine tanks. I will be in heaven.:D