Suspect TDS reading for RO water

Hyzenthlay

Hey there,

I just wanted to check something that I didn't think was quite right.

I'm currently switching trying to switch from aged tap water to RO water and went and bought a barrel from a LFS as I can't quite afford a system. However, I was just about to do a water change with it and checked the TDS which read at 112 while my tap water reads at 45ppm. The ph is around 8.5 as well.

Something is a bit wrong there isn't it? I thought it should be near 0. :S

I'm guessing I shouldn't use it.

Something is definitely wrong...Was the barrel used for the RO yours or theirs? as sometimes those barrels are used for marine and therefore residue minerals may remain. I would check the TDS at the LFS...

Thanks.

It was theirs so I was thinking they might have used it for salt before too. I'll check the other 2 barrels tomorrow to see if it is the same with all of them. I might return them and buy my own barrels and see if I can get water from a friend if I can't be sure what I'm getting. :S

Great work on double checking the TDS :encouragement: I wouldn't trust RO source except your own. A SKF member here purchase some RO water from the LFS, and it damn well almost killed all his shrimps. LFS use their barrels for all sorts of things, including salt water mix etc, so be EXTREMELY careful.

Thanks. I'm pretty glad I tested it. I might have to start saving for a system. :S

Phew! Very close indeed, definitely worth getting an RO/DI unit of your own. You can get a good one off Filter Systems Australia(FSA) for about $100-$150, just give them a call & they will give you excellent advice & help, they also do next day delivery to most areas. :victorious:

Thanks. Do you know which ones are good brands? Too many choices. :S