Lighting Time …

BlueBolts

Planning to have my tank lights turn on from 5am-7am, the 2.30pm-8.30pm…unsure the effects whether the "unnatural break" in the lighting period will affect breeding/health etc ? Would love to hear comments / opinions … Thanks ALL in advance.

It's fine. I have a break in my CRS & CBS tanks lights from 11:30am - 1:30pm. Simulating cloud cover during midday. Helps fight algae growth as well. My lights come on at 7:30am off at 11:30am til 1:30pm then on till 7:30pm.

The tank isn't completely dark. It still gets ambient light from a nearby window, but not direct sunlight.

My shrimp seem to enjoy a bit of a break from super bright lights.

Certainly hasn't impacted breeding. My 10+ shrimplets would testify to that.

Your 8 hour break is quite long.

As long as your plant's don't suffer, I don't think the shrimp will mind. They might even like it.

So one solid block or on in the morning and off then on in the arvo?

I know two different lighting periods is no good for plants, I shouldn't think it will bother shrimp though. Observing them in the wild they tend to go for darker places in the middle of the day, under rocks, under cut banks and heavy plant cover, I would think its more for predator avoidance. As for their UV requirements ??? As far as I have seen they are not totally dependant on it but ???

Bob

Majority of my feeding and tank maintenance is done between 5-6.30am….. so this time slot is a must for practical reasons. Only have mosses in my tanks, so they should be OK ?

Just thinking that if we had those conditions, whether it would effect our breeding and well being …. ,mmmm…. I think NOT :o

• HOF Member

I always switch my lights off in the middle of the day, generally around 11.30 and back on about 1.30 . It hasn't affected my cherries they are continually berried, my mischlings are berried I on the other hand am not so low light doesn't help me BB. :redface-new:My mosses are growing but by the sound of it not as quickly as others say theirs does. My Anubias are doing well, most of my java types have lovely new growth and bolbitis ( not sure of spelling) is growing well. I have great biofilm on the back and side glass and very little to no algae growing elsewhere except a bit of hair type algae introduced on some plants. I have normal daylight in the room but no direct sunlight.

most creatures of nature, hide in dark places during the mid day sun.. and only come out during sunrise and sunset, so i think it doesnt matter :)

I have had most of my shrimp tanks running from 6-9 and then 2-10 and haven't noticed any issues.

In my opinion it is good because it is on when I go to work so I can have a 5 min (30 min) stare and then its on into the evening when it gets dark.

Also, I think having the lights on in blocks to suit your times stresses the shrimp less than flicking lights on and off all the time.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. GOt the lights on from 6-8am and 2-8pm over the past days, and it's been great…MUCH more tank staring time :-)

I break up the light oeriods aswell not only to help fight algae but it helps with photosynthesis aswell :)

i have bright led light during the day, and low led light during night time. as they love light better, they go pale without light :D

I have blue lights on 24/7 & the whites on for about 6hrs, trying to keep the hair algae down at the moment so they are only on for 4hrs at the moment, mosses seem to still be doing well. :encouragement:

Something to keep in mind is that according to the planted tank forums, supposedly plants take longer than algae to start photosynthesising after the lights go on. This may not be an issue in a tank where shrimp are constantly eating biofilm though.