Spotted Blue-Eye Pseudomugil gertrudae

BlueBolts

Just seeking advise on the best WP for these guys…..about to received them over the next few days :-) Anyone had success in breeding them….

[ATTACH]5916[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance :-)

post-24-139909864092_thumb.jpg

Thinly veiled post to show off yer new fish. ;)

A nice one at that. jelly.

I have these little guys in a smallish tank (either 2ft or 3ft long I forget which), I cant tell you the exact parameters but the water is heavily tannin stained, has quite a lot of plant life and a huge hollow log. In this tank is also 4 species of small native shrimp.

My blue eyes are breeding well and I am gradually getting more and more fry each time they spawn. The fry and the adults all really like the fry food first bites and I think it is this that is increasing my fry survival. The parents may also be eating shrimplets that they find but I have not seen them show the slightest bit of interest in the adult shrimp in the tank.

I have the Honey Blue Eyes & I just keep them in tap water with a sponge filter & some plants & they seem to be doing very well. :victorious:

So long as the KH and GH are under 30 ppm they are AOK. In the wild they usually come from water that is PH around 6.8 or lower and hardness of under 10ppm, it is also tannin stained but the tannin is not a must. Habitat is heavily covered in aquatic plant growth and they tend to be close to the shore line in the shallows creeks and all over the water surface in heavily plant covered ponds.

A lot of their habitat dries up in the dry season, but they recover fast when it rains and grow fast to.

In the right spots they can be common.

Do you still want some of the White fins to go with your Red fins?

I have seen them in the same ponds as Thread fins and Trifasciata rainbows

Bob

Breeding is easy as they have a big egg and big fry for the size of the fish

Thank for the feed back ALL….. Read that they can adapt to diff WP. Have a tank cycled at ..

PH - 7.5

TDS - 160

GH - 4

KH - 3

Temp 28

My No. 1 concern ATM is that the tank is quite turbulent, and have read that they prefer still/slow flowing water ? Great if I can confirm this ?

Ta

Kept these from wild caught specimens from Burster ck which we collected back in 1991. A truly beautiful little fish, i managed to maintain them for about 10yrs and they were kept in Brisbane tap water and bred successfully for that time.

Presently keeping Dave's from Aquagreen in identical conditions. I always condition mine with newly hatched brine shrimp to get them into spawning condition and also to raise the fry after initial stage of growth. BTW the Trifasciata Rainbow from this Creek is also a really nice specimen has a red edge to each scale and red fins, beautiful fish.

Not to much flow as they never are in water that moves to much. I use to keep them in Brisbane water at 110ppm with out trouble, but to get close to what they live in low ppm and that wont be a issue for you.

Bob

Hey Bob when you lived in Brisbane were you a member of ANGFA, probably around about 1990-1996. I was told your surname the other day and it sounded familiar. Just curious, i was a member back then.

I use to give the odd talk at meetings, but I was a auctioneer at the super auctions at the Clayfield hall and dam I miss them.

Bob