The Steps - 28 litre Iwagumi

Cookster

Hi all,

A new scape has been born recently, so I am sharing the process here with anyone interested in small tank Dry Start Method scaping.

I wanted to try my hand at an Iwagumi style scape.... not sure if this fits the true profile of Iwagumi, but that

was the intention.

THE TANK:

Aqua One Ecostyle 42

Dims: 41 x 25 x 30 cm

Heater: 25W

Filter: Built-in trickle style

Light: DIY LED using 10 x 1W 6500K

CO2: DIY Sugar/Yeast (2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Yeast, 1.75 Lts water)

Ferts: EI Dosing with Macro - KNO3,KH2PO4, Micro/trace + Fe

HARDSCAPE:

I wanted to use Sieryu Stone as my hardscape material, because I love the character this stone has.

The substrate used in this tank is Fluval Stratum - depth 50mm (front left) to 100mm (back right)

post-346-139909866262_thumb.jpg[ATTACH]5876[/ATTACH]

STARTUP:

The decision was made to use HC as a carpet for this scape and the Dry Start Method (DSM) was adopted

after seeing the success others had had in their tanks. I modified the output of the humidifier with a length of hose

to direct it into the tank.

Humidifier:

post-170-139909866265_thumb.jpg

Humidifier test:

post-170-139909866268_thumb.jpg

PLANTING:

As mentioned before, HC was to be used as the carpet and Eleocharis acicularis (Hair Grass) used as a central rear height feature plant.

[ATTACH]5879[/ATTACH]

Both plants respond well to DSM, and so it was time to set it in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL3_3ZpZHSY

DSM was left to its devices for 5 weeks ... On a daily basis I would mop up any excess water that pooled in the lower left corner

hoping to prevent mould or algae growing as a result of stagnant water. At the end of the 5 week period some BGA had reared its

ugly head but thankfully no mould. Hopefully the BGA has been removed and controlled during day 2 water change.

Staurogyne repens (tropica) has been used to fill around the rocks to add a contrasting sized but similar height plant.

Lillaeopsis brasiliensis has been added to the Hair grass patch also to add contrasting leaf size and a more stand out central height feature.

A few young Pogostemon helferii are also planted, but not holding out much hope for the success of this plant as the young plants are not in

good shape to start with ... but fingers crossed. :)

US Fissedens tied to small rocks have been placed at the base of each of the rocks to soften the transition of HC to rock when the Fiss grows in.

After planting out the remaining plants I set-up the filter, CO2, and heater then flooded the tank with aged tap water.

Introducing "The Steps"

[ATTACH]5880[/ATTACH]

A couple of close-up snaps

post-34-139909866272_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]5882[/ATTACH]

DIY LED:

The built in led for this tank was rather lacking in plant growing potential, so I decided to retrofit the original light with my own designed LED setup.

10 x 1W 6500K chips were decided upon and 2 x computer cooling fans employed to keep them cool.

[ATTACH]5883[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5884[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5885[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5886[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5887[/ATTACH]

Cookster

post-2255-139909863989_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909863992_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909863995_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909863998_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864001_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864004_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864008_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864013_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864018_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864022_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864027_thumb.jpg

post-2255-13990986403_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909864035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Simply stunning dude, thanks for sharing! I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the developement of this tank, make sure you keep us regularly updated! :victorious:

Thanks Squiggle ... I will certainly post some updates... haven't used EI dosing before, and combined with CO2 am expecting some good results :)

Great read, and thanks for sharing....looks awesome, and amazing...please do keep is posted. :encouragement:

Thanks Ineke ... The kettle's always hot, whenever you want to come and chat shrimp and scaping :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Will get back to you very soon for a date for when you are free. :encouragement:

Look forward to it.. I'm on hols early January .. maybe then :)

Hey dude, you should do a proper DIY thread on that light, where to get the LEDs, how to solder them together, wiring up, etc. :victorious:

Very nice mate! Where did you get the Humidifier?

Hi Aquathumb' date=

Thanks for the compliment :encouragement: The humidifier I am using was a gift from a fellow scaper, but I have found a link on Ebay if that helps.

Its an Ultrasonic Travel Humidifier

Specs:

Model: GH2193

Voltage: DC24V

Power Consumption: Max 11W

Input Voltage: AC 100V-240V

Dimensions: L107 x W82 x H67mm

Net Weight: 200g

Link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Mini-Personal-Air-Humidifier-Ultrasonic-Steam-Travel-Work-Home-/131033434977?pt=AU_Air_Tools&var&hash=item1e82338b61&_uhb=1

Hey dude' date=' you should do a proper DIY thread on that light, where to get the LEDs, how to solder them together, wiring up, etc. :victorious:[/quote']

I can do that Squiggle. The only thing with that is the project requires a 240V connection and being that I am a sparky it wasn't a problem.

If I make a how to do it thread and someone (who is not blessed in the delicate art of Electrickity) does themselves a mischief, I open myself up for liable :cower: ... a dilemma I am sure you understand.

Hi Aquathumb' date='

Thanks for the compliment :encouragement: The humidifier I am using was a gift from a fellow scaper, but I have found a link on Ebay if that helps.

Its an Ultrasonic Travel Humidifier

Specs:

Model: GH2193

Voltage: DC24V

Power Consumption: Max 11W

Input Voltage: AC 100V-240V

Dimensions: L107 x W82 x H67mm

Net Weight: 200g

Link: [url']http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Mini-Personal-Air-Humidifier-Ultrasonic-Steam-Travel-Work-Home-/131033434977?pt=AU_Air_Tools&var&hash=item1e82338b61&_uhb=1

Thank you Cookster. Think I might pick one of these up :D

I can do that Squiggle. The only thing with that is the project requires a 240V connection and being that I am a sparky it wasn't a problem.

If I make a how to do it thread and someone (who is not blessed in the delicate art of Electrickity) does themselves a mischief' date= I open myself up for liable :cower: ... a dilemma I am sure you understand.

That's simple enough, just do it as if you used a 12v power pack & then it's just a plug in to the power supply.

I know what you mean as I work in the electrical industry too, seen too many muppets take the sparky sparky boom stuff for granted, lol. :encouragement:

HA HA ... Yep, not something to play with for sure..

I will give it a go mate ... :)

• 7 months later...

Yes but still some of us sparkies arw still interested none the less ;)

Didnt realise how many of us there was on here