Quiet air pump ?

K9932

Getting so sick of buying new air pumps and somehow they are louder than the last. Is there any recommendations on the most quiet that you have experienced?

Thanks

Ive heard a couple say Hailea is good. Thankyou, I might go woth that one as I currently have a resun. And it seems to be getting louder by the day

+1 for the Hailea. I have the V20 and cant fault it

We have the v20 aswell

its in our bedroom

1.5 metres from the bedhead

cant hear a thing

A overlooked problem with air pumps and before I get in trouble it may not be the case with yours.

If they are pushing air to deep in a tank they get noisy fast, it is because they are working too hard, also if you are pushing them through to smaller pipe to far they will be a problem.

If they are pushing deep, bring the air stone up shallower and clean the air stone in Vinegar, they only need to be in the Vinegar for 30 seconds and washed.

Bob

Schego are really good and one of our sponsors sells them too I think! Have had one for years and still silent!

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on how many tanks you want to run but i had a Sakuragawa 60l which ran non stop 24hr a day for 30years and was super quiet. The secret was to have a bleed line open so as not to have back pressure on diaphram and also to have adequate size piping connected as a ring main to equalize air flow. Unfortunately these pumps are no longer available but this one has replaced it (Yasunaga LP60A) available from Goodies waste water supplies 35 Scenic Cr Coomera Qld Ph 1300 282 181. Last time i priced them it was around $260.00 good value for 30yrs service.

My vote after more than 20yrs in the hobby is for Schego. They are whisper quiet and every single bit of them is replaceable so basically you buy them once and that is it.

+1 for the Hailea. I have the V20 and cant fault it

Actually bought one on the weekend and very quiet. only the air being bled out and the bubbles are the real noise!

• 1 year later...

Just to complete this post with new products : I ordered a aPump from Ukraine (Kiev) you can find on eBay. For about 25$ it's really... amazing.

The only noise I hear is the bubbles in the tank and the pump is on the tank !!! I use it for 20G+10G for my shrimps and it's perfect...

Search for aPump in youtube too see reviews.

Enjoy the silent. :)

• Like 1

If you have an air pump that's getting louder (and eventually blowing less air) you need to change the diaphragms. Cheap, simple job. 

The Schego are awesome pumps, no doubt about it. Unfortunately even their big M2K3 is not big enough to run a room. 

The best big pumps were always "the pump" which are I think now called "hiblow", but I don't know if they're still as good. Hopefully. They're not cheap. The Sakuragawa mentioned by Shrimp Aqua sounds interesting and as with "the pump", I hope the replacement Yasunaga pumps are as good. 

The V series do look good and I'm glad to hear they're quiet. But I've got a pile of cooked old Hailea pumps here, they're really pretty crappy so I'm interested to see how those V's are in a couple of years... I've always run the room off a big diameter air loop with an open bleed line, it's standard practice. My Haileas/Halipais don't last long anyway, like Resun and all the other cheap crap. Bob's call about cleaning your airstones in vinegar is helpful advice; I choose not to use them at all. An open line is still pretty effective and never blocks. 

Perhaps the Airlab pumps sold by the Tech Den are a better option than Hailea for a cheaper big pump. Would like to see results from a long term test with both. 

As neosin stated the eheim 40 is super quiet and can run at least 6-8 small tanks with sponge filters, quietest small pump i have ever used.