RO water system.. wasteful?

K9932

Hey guys, so ive been considering just buying an RO system as buying the water will end up way more expensive. But ive seen how much waste water they produce compared to RO water.

What do you guys use the waste water for? Gardens and such?

Also, how long would I have to run the tap through the RO system to get say 20L of RO water?

Thanks a bunch guys for reading :)

My RO waste water is used to fill the spa, lemon tree etc....so it doesn't go to waste.

I have a portable RO unit, and depending on pressure, make/model, and stages etc, it takes approx. 2.5 hours to fill a 20lt container

Hmm. That isnt as long as I thought it would take. Maybe the best bet it to go for a portable one..

+1, I've got a portable too & it's the same as BB's & I water the herb garden too, doesn't have to go to waste. :victorious:

• HOF Member

Mine is a portable unit and I think it's about 1 bucket of waste to just over 1/2 a bucket of RO. I do my water changes with stored water - I just use 2 & 4 litre plastic bottles and one 10 litre bottle- then once I've done my water changes - Even that goes on the garden - I just refill everything so I have an Emergency supply of water plus storing water keeps it at room temperature. To make enough for my weekly changes and top ups takes about 2-3 hours but I know how long each bottle takes to fill so I set an alarm and leave it to fill by itself .

just get my RO water from my parents house. its just been change all the media. and i did test the water ph still about > 7.2 ?

I have never measured it but I think it's 1/3 good to 2/3 waste. :encouragement:

I think it depends on the water you put in it. I find mine to be more like 50:50 but my TDS isn't that high to begin with.

I have the portable one too and it takes me just over 2hrs for the 20L drum to fill.. and i only get 25 litres of waste so about half RO half waste. i did a TDS test on my waste and its only 100ppm. added prime and some aqua salts and just use it on my fish tanks sometimes if it has been raining. all good no waste! :encouragement: def get one!!

just get my RO water from my parents house. its just been change all the media. and i did test the water ph still about > 7.2 ?

maybe the membrane needs replacing?

The membrane will only need replacing once the tds starts to rise ( should be 5+ years with normal use)

If you leave it for a while the natural acidification should take place and drop it to the high 5's. It wont necessarily drop immediately after being produced so could take a while to get this reading.

I forgot to add: If it is an fsa unit then you can test the tds before and after the membrane and they will tell you if it needs replacing or not.