Awww RIP Old Girl

ineke

• HOF Member

One of my older chocolate girls died last night. She was a big old girl rarely not berried and even died heavily berried. I was expecting it but still not nice. Can't save the eggs as they are too young. She gave me some beautiful shrimp. Now I'm going to worry about the others I have they are all the same size and I got them at the same time.

IMG]2013-09-13154421_zpsd13c26bf.jpg

Sad to hear!! You gave her a good life!!

Oh no! That's a bummer, it's never good to loose a shrimp, especially an old favourite. I had the same thing happen about a week ago with one of the first CRS I ever bought, Big Red, as I called her, didn't look good one evening & then nek minit :( I'm sure she had a good run as I had her for about 2yrs & she was very fruitful for me. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

No doubt I will need to get ready for more losses as I have a lot of very large older shrimp. I think they understand, my old chocolates are always together-I got them all at the same time from Dean- they are the ones that line up for dinner:) anyway where one is all are except this morning only one was in her usual place near where the girl had passed away. Once I took her out of the tank they all came out of hiding and are scrounging around together again. Wishful thinking maybe but I want to believe it is so! Now I have to be more careful about separating old shrimp ,then what about taking there babies away:cower: Nah just kidding but it does make you think- maybe I watched Nemo too many times LOL

Aww :sorrow:

Any idea how old they are?

Hopefully that Choc will be replaced with more babies from other shrimp to minimise the loss.

I found 2 CRS dead in my tanks last 2 weeks as well. But I also found 5 teeny little babies (that I could see anyway), that's made up for the loss.

• HOF Member

Oh she has left a very large family for me so in that way she wont be missed but as one of my first "good" shrimp she will be missed. It's never nice when you have a loss . I have been very lucky over the last couple of months and have not lost any of mine although 3 new shrimp didn't make it.

• HOF Member

Thanks just have to toughen up and accept it especially as they live for such a short time.

It least you know she passed, my Female BB has gone and done a disappearing act on me...I have no idea where she is. I can see into every part of the tank and have searched thoroughly so she is definitely gone. It's like someone has come in and netted her away...I think she has just molted and been eaten by the others...

My biggest frustration in this hobby is when they disappear on you!

• HOF Member

Thats so frustrating the not knowing. I have had a few Tibees disappear but I think they went a wandering even though every gap was taped:(

that was frustating. but last night i had even frustating, 1 of my pregnant fish on breeding box, i think jump out about 1 meter from the aquarium and i did step on it! btw keeping shrimp is more like keeping guppy fish easy breed and easy died :(

Thats so frustrating the not knowing. I have had a few Tibees disappear but I think they went a wandering even though every gap was taped:(

• HOF Member

You must have felt terrible when you stepped on her. Actually guppies are very hardy and one of the easiest fish to keep . My only problem with guppies was they just kept breeding :). Once you get your conditions right you shouldn't lose too many shrimp:encouragement:

it was terrible ineke :( yea guppies is easy to keep if not get parasite, i have difficulty rescue them when parasite spread arround. my shrimp is doing okay :) Good luck ineke!

You must have felt terrible when you stepped on her. Actually guppies are very hardy and one of the easiest fish to keep . My only problem with guppies was they just kept breeding :). Once you get your conditions right you shouldn't lose too many shrimp:encouragement:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!