A problem shared....

newbreed

You know when you get the feeling you haven't seen one of your shrimp and you automatically think the worst!?

I had not seen my Extreme KK for a whole day before going away for work for two days and had noticed prior he was ready to moult.

As he was only young and full black he was usually hard to spot.

Well it got the better of me this afternoon and I moved some mosses and found him, being consumed by a tankmate. :(

The other TBs have been moulting fine and the water parameters are stable. I will be extra vigilant over the next couple of days. 5% water change happening as a precaution.

I am chalking it up to being one of those deaths that just happen!

Not a great start to the weekend! Grrr!!

Flipside, found another berried CBS, now 4!!!! Black & White Stripe population explosion soon! :)

• HOF Member

It's always the special ones Jamie. Don't forget to do some water test especially GH and I guess the Calcium and Magnesium ratio - I still haven't got to do that as I'm a bit unsure even with all the good advice but I must bite the bullet and learn. Great about the berried girls at least that takes a bit of the bite away. Keep an eye out for any other losses because you have had shrimp from a few different people now and although the bacterial infection problem is something that some people agree about and others don't. I do know when I had added shrimp to my tank from a couple of different sellers I started losing a shrimp at least weekly for a couple of months. I ended up buying a few different products that were recommended and the losses stopped. The product I especially think helped- I didn't just add everything I used different products until I got some Genchem Beta- G or beta glucans with B1-3, 1-6 vitamin B complex which apparently boosts immune function and enhances aquatic cells antibacterial activity. I have now been using this product for about 4 months and have not lost a shrimp of my own since starting it. I have lost 3 new shrimp but not in the tank that had the problem but I can honestly say since using this and the minerals recommended I am not losing any shrimp and I have a lot of shrimp . I rarely mention what I use as what works for one person may not work for others but I can't believe I am not finding any dead shrimp and I check my tanks several times a day( well if I tell the truth I'm in my shrimp room all day every day:) ) it could also just be coincidence and the fact that I am slowly getting to be a better shrimp keeper but I tend to think it is the products I'm using.

Anyway if you have several losses over the next few weeks look into the bacterial infection write ups. Hopefully it is a one off and you won't need to.

Thanks guys!! Thankfully all others looking good. WPs are 6ph, 5-6gh, 2 kh, Ammonia 0, Nitrate <5ppm, Nitrite 0, Tds 157.

I have used miconecton mineral powder, active water, active water, beni balls and zeroA.

Have not bought a calcium test kit yet but will tomorrow morning and get that ratio spot on.

No other losses in this tank in a long time. Hoping genetic weakness is the cause.

Sure all will be well.

+1 on the Beta-G, I have been using it for about 8 months now (maybe more can't really remember), it especially helps with the shrimplets and younger ones...With the Calcium:Magnesium and any other additives etc. if you are unsure of what you are doing then I wouldn't mess around with it as it can be disastrous if not done properly.

Will look into Beta=G. Thanks for the recommendations. It is always taken onboard.

Will advise any changes as they occur.

Bummer dude! There is definitely a lot of wise info there, keep us posted on how everything goes! :encouragement: