Sign in to follow this  
K9932

How to sight newborn shrimp?

K9932

Reason I ask, I had a Crystal red berry up and the drop her eggs early ; ( She berried up again and this time held them all the way to the end, but im not sure if she dropped them right near the end, or actually hatched them... I've been scanning the tank for babies, in the moss, in all the dark spots, but I cant see any of the little ones.

How long (after hatching) until you can see baby shrimp? "Easily" see.

Squiggle

You should be able to see them straight away but if you have heaps of hiding spots they may not come out for a week or so. :encouragement:

K9932

Should they be striped straight away or will they start off with a full clear or red body ?

Im so impatient :(

ineke

I usually see mine first on the glass- I leave the sides and the back alone and let the biofilm and algae grow there. I'm actually looking at some babies that hatched this moring and thats where they are.

jayc

I usually spot mine on the glass like Ineke, or on leaves. The green background of the algae/leaves is your best chance of spotting newly hatched shrimplets. They are almost invisible on black backgrounds like substrate however.

Hyzenthlay

I'm terrible at spotting baby shrimp. I thought they all died until they were half a centimetre long. I find if I shine a torch through the darkened rank at night you can see tiny things shoot away to hide.

poeticwinter

crystal red babies usually have white and red pattern since born :) usually you can see on the glass or leaves they are very tiny though :) check my post here mine just born 5 days ago

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5677-Found-this-little-felas-on-my-tank?p=74204#post74204

K9932

Beautiful babies!

Hmm. This is where they were born

K9932

(Accidentally pressed send without the picture lol) lots of hidey places..

Is there a chance she could have dropped them instead?

Or would she have not carried them that far into her "pregnancy"? lol

post-1355-139909854903_thumb.jpg

warren63

I find night the best to spot shrimplets. Just give it half an hour after lights out and use a torch to check out the tank. Maybe add a algae wafer or such to help entice them out.

CNgo2006
I find night the best to spot shrimplets. Just give it half an hour after lights out and use a torch to check out the tank. Maybe add a algae wafer or such to help entice them out.

+1 this works best I have found for newly born...they are usually on the sponge filters or in some moss

K9932

Looks like ill be giving that idea a go! Hehe

Trick those little shrimpies

BlueBolts

The CSI technique with lights off and a torch is the best option.....it's how I often check for shrimplets etc...

warren63

@K9932

Heres a couple of pics i took this afternoon so you can get an idea of the size of the little shrimplets

first pic to the left of the top shrimp and above the bottom shrimp

post-1433-139909865806_thumb.jpg

second pic these is two shrimplets in this one. main one right in the middle and its sibling a couple of cms above.

post-3681-139909854908_thumb.jpg

post-3681-139909854913_thumb.jpg

Squiggle

Cool pics Warren, very nice shrimp! :victorious:

warren63
Cool pics Warren' date=' very nice shrimp! :victorious:[/quote']

Gee I wonder where I got them from! They are doing great.

K9932

Wow they are tiny! Nice colouring on them :D

Squiggle
Gee I wonder where I got them from! They are doing great.

Im very glad to see they're doing so well for you, awesome stuff! :victorious:

K9932

Had another look today but couldnt sight any. Even with food out. Tomorrow im planning to use a torch (if I can find one). Thinking at this point that they might not have survived.. :(

Squiggle

Bummer, that's not a good sign but you have to keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there very soon. :encouragement:

ineke

It can be hard to see new babies until you get your eye in. Don't give up all of a sudden you see one and then they are everywhere. Keep looking good luck:encouragement:

K9932

So I got p*ssed off today and ripped all the ornaments out of the tank. Only found 5 mystery yellow babies and one wild coloured one. (They woulf have gotten in when I first moved my shrimp) no crs babies in sight

Squiggle

Doh! That's not good news at all. :cower:

ineke

Bummer Kristy that's not good:(

K9932

Ill just have to wait until the preggo mummas drop their ones.. not for another month though :(

But atleast there is shrimpies on the way