blue cherry from black cherry project so far nov 2013

Gbang

MUAHAHAHAHA :D WATCH IN HD

:smiley_simmons:

gotta do another cull sesh though :dejection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gP2pfbh6cA&feature=youtu.be

DAAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!!! they are some spectacular blues there dude, awesome work, well done!! :victorious:

Daaaaaammmm_zpsbd595d1b.jpg

Brilliant Gbang!! Can't wait til my blue colony gets to this size!!! Great work!!

THanks man lol love ice cube and Chris tucker. Oh yeah my bad on the dirty tank, I had to scrape the algae off the glass. Gonna try another cull tonight I hope!

Good to see gbang but,

How do you get such a large percentage of blues?

I am currently only getting 4-5 blues per drop from a blue pair.

I also get one orange every drop and alot of blacks and chocs.

If you want to sell some culls send me a pm, I have a perfect display tank for them.

Cheers mick

Hey Smicko I get the same results from you. I cull every week to a fortnight and yes the reds and browns still come. It's been 2 years of line breeding so far and from my recollection I'm pretty sure I got the originals from dean 6 plus months earlier than you so that's why I it so much :)

• HOF Member

Gbang what ph do you keep yours in. I'm finding quite a few blue when in ph 6.5 but not so much in ph 7.2 or above. The same shrimp changes colour in the different ph so now I'm working in the lower ph to try and "set" the colour.

Mine is in 7.4-8 gh 8 plus TDS 150-200 using shrimp mineral mix. I went through a different direction. Using a bare tank so their colours aren't super dark so I can see their blue base

• HOF Member

Thank you .I noticed the bare base and thought it a good idea for selection. I am just starting to get a few blues but as soon as I select them and move them the colour changes even in similar WP's. I will just have to play with them and see how they go. the blacks and dark chocolate look really nice in the lower ph and stay the same in high ph but the darn blues just aren't stable enough yet. Might try the bare tank and higher ph and see what happens:D It's all a good learning curve for me.

Hey Smicko I get the same results from you. I cull every week to a fortnight and yes the reds and browns still come. It's been 2 years of line breeding so far and from my recollection I'm pretty sure I got the originals from dean 6 plus months earlier than you so that's why I it so much :)

Do you think the colour will ever become stable? I have culled hard a couple of times and I find more black and choc than blue but mine are on black substrate so they could change in a bare bottom tank. I shall experiment with that over the weekend with a new batch of shrimplets.

@ineke, the ph colour change is interesting. I put all my culls into a display tank in my daughters room that has higher ph and I have noticed that the blue velvets have deeper colour in around 8ph but the chocs look lighter in colour :confused:

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

That is interesting ,I have Blue Velvets so might try to up the ph a bit on them. The Blues from Chocolate definitely look better in the lower ph in my tanks but I might try the bare tank with higher ph with a few and see how they go . Gets confusing with Blue Velvet and Blue Cherries:D

as to stabilising colour first you have to cull really hard and really be vigilant but BB had some shrimp that had bred true for quite a few generations and then suddenly had throwbacks. i guess we just have to make sure we tell people the origins of our shrimp and let them know they may get other colours occasionally. i know when i started off with my Rilis they had nice patterns but still each batch of babies has a lot of culls in them.

Well lets get a few general facts stable. Some may disagree. but to me

1. High ph with the right gh and minerals is essential. The shrimp has to be at its healthiest in order for their "true colours" to show

2. Colour of substrate is the key to a dark or light coloured cherry. Light substrates reduce colour. darker increases shade and colour intensity. for getting blues. One can't check their base if the substrate is dark therefore I use bare bottom or white substrate to see the insides of their colour depth. I'm sure if I put my future blues into dark substrate they might turn black. But that's the least of my concern as I feel getting their base to be a consistent blue is the first step. That's my two cents. It's definitely working for me and I am certain we can breed a true "blue berry" dean and bb are extremely close too so there ya go!

Ineke out those velvets in black substrate I assure you they will be bluer

Hope that helps guys. :)

• HOF Member

Good advice Gbang. I have all my shrimp with either benibachi or fluval stratum = dark substrate and hard to see. I use RO water and still using Sulawesi salts. I will have a couple of free tanks on Monday so will redo them with out the substrate and put half of both blues into them ( seperate of course) and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.