Strange long-tailed snails fighting(?) in my cycling tank.

Hyzenthlay

Hi there,

Here is something weird for you all.

I have my new shrimp tank fishless cycling at the moment and it has become overrun with algae and what not. As usual some snails came in on the plants and do not seem at all bothered by the cycling. The difference is that these ones don't appear to be the same types as appeared in my other tanks. I have some that look like a clearish spotted ramshorn snail and these odd pond snails with long tails. I was watching them zooming around today and saw them chasing one another then standing up on their tails and grappling. They did this a few times before I managed to get my camera and catch them doing it. Not sure if this is fighting or something kinkier.

Here is the video I made. Please ignore the algae and filth. I'm waiting for the tank to finish cycling before I clean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGlX-JTJm9g

Apparently these are Physa acuta (except on speed from the looks of it). So it looks like I haven't discovered the 'fighting snail' but at least they aren't mini ramshorns. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently these are Physa acuta (except on speed from the looks of it). So it looks like I haven't discovered the 'fighting snail' but at least they aren't mini ramshorns. :P

Yes, I've got them in my tanks to. They do that "thrashing" with their shell when the are annoyed by something. (like a shimp sitting on them ;))